Red foot feces

duffield9

Location (City and/or State)
Sioux Falls
What should red foot poop be like?ours is always soft she’s 22 years old and eats 99% fresh greens carrots cucumber very little fruit a little orange slices once in awhile our Herman’s always solid same diet??

zovick

10 Year Member!
What should red foot poop be like?ours is always soft she’s 22 years old and eats 99% fresh greens carrots cucumber very little fruit a little orange slices once in awhile our Herman’s always solid same diet??
Perhaps the tortoise has some parasites irritating her gut and causing the loose stools. I would recommend taking a stool sample to a good reptile vet and having it checked for an overload of some type of parasite(s).

If no parasites are noted, try changing the diet to one with more protein and less cucumbers and greens.

duffield9

Sioux Falls
Perhaps the tortoise has some parasites irritating her gut and causing the loose stools. I would recommend taking a stool sample to a good reptile vet and having it checked for an overload of some type of parasite(s).

If no parasites are noted, try changing the diet to one with more protein and less cucumbers and greens.
Great thank you

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You don't have both tortoises in the same enclosure do you? Redfoot normally eat fruit...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot can eat a diet of 60% or more fruit.
I only feed about 20% greens and only offer cucumber when there (if) seems to be a constipation issue.
Cucumber alone is a stool softener and might be the whole issue.
"Normal" RF poop is formed like classic poop. Neither hard or runny.
Animal protein adds to the smelling bad factor. I usually supply just 5 to 10 percent protein
Change the diet and see if the poop changes.

duffield9

Sioux Falls
Great thank you
Great thank you
Great thank you

duffield9

Sioux Falls

Not sure what I did so many thank you ha what type of protein would you recommend?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Not sure what I did so many thank you ha what type of protein would you recommend?
Pinky mice, chicken giblets, really lean ground beef, and even a good quality moistened dry dog food. I used to feed mine Gainesburgers back in the 50's and 60's. Don't know if those are even made any longer, though.

Remember to limit the amount of protein to about 10% or less of the total diet.

newt

ma
Check if temperature is too low so the rf is having a digestive problem. If this is the case, raise temperature and give probiotics will cure the loose stool.