Red Foot New Enclosure Finally

ND135

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I’m finally thrilled to say I have finished my red foot’s new enclosure. He had been in a glass aquarium since last year.

He is nervous and needs time to adjust. I had a nice scene background in his glass enclosure that he seems to be missing but I know this is healthier for him in the long run.

More plants are on the way but I’m grateful for any input - something I’ve missed or overlooked?

Thanks!!
NR4 red foot momma

Attachments

• IMG_6424.jpeg
    IMG_6424.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6426.jpeg
    IMG_6426.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6429.jpeg
    IMG_6429.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6428.jpeg
    IMG_6428.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6434.jpeg
    IMG_6434.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
I’m finally thrilled to say I have finished my red foot’s new enclosure. He had been in a glass aquarium since last year.

He is nervous and needs time to adjust. I had a nice scene background in his glass enclosure that he seems to be missing but I know this is healthier for him in the long run.

More plants are on the way but I’m grateful for any input - something I’ve missed or overlooked?

Thanks!!
NR4 red foot momma
Most important thing, the clamp lights. Do not trust the clamps,(this applies to all clamp style light/heat fixtures) find another way to attach them or get some mechanics wire and tie it through the clamp. You do not want to come find your tort hurt or slow roasted from the light when it falls down. Also remove the fogger. This can be used in the room the enclosure is in but not in the enclosure itself.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
True. The clamp lights need a secondary insurance against falling. Like with wire or heavy duty zip ties.
Also, from experience, I can tell you that that half log hut will soon start to rot and get moldy. They don't do well in a humid Redfoot enclosure.
Try a clay flowerpot on its side. Or crack one in half. (Not as simple as it seems)
You won't need a fogger once this is set up.
But in general, that looks pretty good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second everything said.
To add, pack the substrate down tight. Dampen the substrate from pouring warm water into the corners and this will give the humidity needed without dampening the top layer, preventing shell rot. This will take place of the fogger which can cause health issues you don't want.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi!
1. What bulbs to you have in the domes? CHEs, ambient LEDs?
2. CHE without dome (the one near the UVB lamp) probably don't heat the basking area but the space below it. Did you check temperatures there? When CHE is placed too low and your tortoise will prefer to sleep under it this can be desiccating for its shell.

Nevertheless - good job, with more plants it will be really cool. Implement the changes suggested above to make it more safe and comfortable.

COmtnLady

Colorado
That is a good set up, keep in mind what everyone above this post has said.

Water in corners if VERY important for a Red Foot.

The clay flower pot on its side makes a great hide. Mine loved hers. BUT! We made the mistake of cutting it to make it less likely to move. Those cut edges made a couple divots in her plastron when she got busy arranging furniture and it had to be removed.

ND135

Maryland
Most important thing, the clamp lights. Do not trust the clamps,(this applies to all clamp style light/heat fixtures) find another way to attach them or get some mechanics wire and tie it through the clamp. You do not want to come find your tort hurt or slow roasted from the light when it falls down. Also remove the fogger. This can be used in the room the enclosure is in but not in the enclosure itself.
Thanks!!! I have a friend who is building a wood gantry for all of the lights but I will take you up on that advice - the frame is flimsy I’m anxious to get that gantry set up!

I feel dumb asking. Use the fogger in the room but not the enclosure. The fogger is hooked up to a humidistat set to 70-75%. The enclosure is in my kitchen which would not make a dent in his enclosure if I ran it in the kitchen. I don’t run the AC in that room so the warmth stays consistent with the thermostat I worry about pyramiding and humidity being low.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Thanks!!! I have a friend who is building a wood gantry for all of the lights but I will take you up on that advice - the frame is flimsy I’m anxious to get that gantry set up!

I feel dumb asking. Use the fogger in the room but not the enclosure. The fogger is hooked up to a humidistat set to 70-75%. The enclosure is in my kitchen which would not make a dent in his enclosure if I ran it in the kitchen. I don’t run the AC in that room so the warmth stays consistent with the thermostat I worry about pyramiding and humidity being low.
Fogger in the enclosure will bring on Respiratory issues. To bring humidity up in the enclosure it's best to use orchid bark substrate then pour a cup of warm water in the corners this Allows the lower bark to get wet and the upper layer to stay dry. This way you avoid shell rotting. That redfoots are prone to getting, and it will keep the humidity up as long as the tent cover you have is closed. You can also do what wellington suggested above by packing substrate you have and adding water. You could add the orchid bark on top of what you have also. To insure the tort stays dry.

COmtnLady

Colorado
I live in Colorado. According to Colorado.com
"300 days of sunshine. More than 300 inches of snow at the mountain resorts. An average of 16.5 inches of precipitation (8 at lower elevations and 23 at higher elevations) 33 percent average humidity."
All of that varies when you go up or down in altitude. I live at 8300 ft., not the top of the mountains, but the Continental Divide, which is the top, is only about 20 miles from my door.

I bet your driest times of year are still higher in humidity than our most humid.

I have a closed chamber for my Red Foot and ONLY putting water in the corners when humidity starts to go down a bit, plus a little soak/water dish, is all that is needed to keep my humidity in the 80%s with a temp in the 80s F. Zero misting or fogging in room or enclosure. I do run a humidifier for humans in the kitchen (20 ft away from the tort enclosure) but doubt its effects are anything more than minimal for the tort

ND135

Maryland
Fogger in the enclosure will bring on Respiratory issues. To bring humidity up in the enclosure it's best to use orchid bark substrate then pour a cup of warm water in the corners this Allows the lower bark to get wet and the upper layer to stay dry. This way you avoid shell rotting. That redfoots are prone to getting, and it will keep the humidity up as long as the tent cover you have is closed. You can also do what wellington suggested above by packing substrate you have and adding water. You could add the orchid bark on top of what you have also. To insure the tort stays dry.
Thanks!! I do have orchid bark under so this helps to hear. I will pack some substrate and pour warm water.

I can’t tell if he loves this or is scared to death of the change. This is his first non glass enclosure (pet shop glass then home for a year in glass). What should I look for as far as behavior goes?

Thanks for all of the advice I LOVE this baby!!

Attachments

• IMG_6436.jpeg
    IMG_6436.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6437.png
    IMG_6437.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

ND135

Maryland
Here's some pictures of Mojo's enclosure. It is a closed chamber enclosure. I added a little too much water over a month ago, so I haven't added water since and it's maintaining 85-90% humidity at average temperature of 84°FView attachment 371780View attachment 371781View attachment 371782
This is awesome! What are you using to read temps and humidity. Thats way more impressive than the beeping Reptizoo that I have

Thanks so much for caring and answering !

ND135

Maryland
I live in Colorado. According to Colorado.com
"300 days of sunshine. More than 300 inches of snow at the mountain resorts. An average of 16.5 inches of precipitation (8 at lower elevations and 23 at higher elevations) 33 percent average humidity."
All of that varies when you go up or down in altitude. I live at 8300 ft., not the top of the mountains, but the Continental Divide, which is the top, is only about 20 miles from my door.

I bet your driest times of year are still higher in humidity than our most humid.

I have a closed chamber for my Red Foot and ONLY putting water in the corners when humidity starts to go down a bit, plus a little soak/water dish, is all that is needed to keep my humidity in the 80%s with a temp in the 80s F. Zero misting or fogging in room or enclosure. I do run a humidifier for humans in the kitchen (20 ft away from the tort enclosure) but doubt its effects are anything more than minimal for the tort
Thanks and you are correct about the humidity difference for sure between our areas!!!

I do have sprayers but need to attach them when the new gantry is made. For now I’m using the fogger and spraying the substrate.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. I’d love to see pics when you have time. ❤️

ND135

Maryland
Hi!
1. What bulbs to you have in the domes? CHEs, ambient LEDs?
2. CHE without dome (the one near the UVB lamp) probably don't heat the basking area but the space below it. Did you check temperatures there? When CHE is placed too low and your tortoise will prefer to sleep under it this can be desiccating for its shell.

Nevertheless - good job, with more plants it will be really cool. Implement the changes suggested above to make it more safe and comfortable.
Thanks

The domes are CHE. The hood is the T5 UV. Wow great call on the lower CHE. This is our first 24 hours and I was afraid he would not be warm enough but he is now sleeping in the corner near that CHE in the spider plants! That surprises me but you are on to something

I’m hoping to add fern next and a few rainforest plants in the next month

I appreciate your advice. You have commented on my posts before and always solid feedback. Thank you!!🙏

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Thanks!! I do have orchid bark under so this helps to hear. I will pack some substrate and pour warm water.

I can’t tell if he loves this or is scared to death of the change. This is his first non glass enclosure (pet shop glass then home for a year in glass). What should I look for as far as behavior goes?

Thanks for all of the advice I LOVE this baby!!
It will take a few days to a week for him to get comfortable in the new tropical bungalow. He will probably hide a lot at first then he will explore a lot. He's pretty, and giving you some good sie eye. Mojo takes a more direct approach to let me know he means business. 20240606_064034.jpg20240604_065637.jpg20240606_063523.jpgI use SensorPush sensors and modem so I can monitor from anywhere.

SensorPush G1 WiFi/Ethernet Gateway. Receive Data/Alerts from Anywhere via Internet. No Monthly Fee. Unlimited History. Developed/Supported/Hosted in USA. iPhone/Android App/Web Dashboard/Alexa https://a.co/d/5OmHLkZ

Temperature/Humidity Sensor by SensorPush for iPhone/Android. Water Resistant, Made in USA https://a.co/d/2BnpW6e

ND135

Maryland
True. The clamp lights need a secondary insurance against falling. Like with wire or heavy duty zip ties.
Also, from experience, I can tell you that that half log hut will soon start to rot and get moldy. They don't do well in a humid Redfoot enclosure.
Try a clay flowerpot on its side. Or crack one in half. (Not as simple as it seems)
You won't need a fogger once this is set up.
But in general, that looks pretty good.
Thank you!! Wow great call on the log it is looking a bit nasty. He loves to climb the log. Any climbing suggestions in place of the log?

I’ll grab him a flower pot - I also need to get him a triacetate food dish

Thanks ZP!!

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Thanks and you are correct about the humidity difference for sure between our areas!!!

I do have sprayers but need to attach them when the new gantry is made. For now I’m using the fogger and spraying the substrate.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. I’d love to see pics when you have time. ❤️
I wouldn't use the sprayers in the enclosure either. You want upper layer of substrate to be dry.