Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
So here is there temporary home. Thought you might like a look @Pearly @Anyfoot

View attachment 169559

View attachment 169560

View attachment 169561

View attachment 169562

View attachment 169563

And this is a open top 'tortoise table' I built in about half hour on top of the enclosure. They can't get to this one themselves we have to put them up there. I hated not having more space in the vivarium even though they are only hatchlings, hence their new enclosure is about 5 times the size plus it will have an open top roof area like this with a greenhouse, they will be able to access the greenhouse but need us to let them wander the open air area so we can ensure they are warm enough and not upto mischief. I also have plans for a stream up there but don't tell my wife, she already thinks I'm mad for building a pool/pond and waterfall in the new enclosure.

View attachment 169564

The funny island in the middle is just to go round the heater element which sticks out the top of the enclosure, they won't happen on the new one.

I know it's too small and very full in there, it's temporary.

I'm happy to say that since I made these changes - blocked all the air vents, cleaned out substrate, raked soil, lots of coco soil added and tons of sphagnum moss - they are all much more active and eating more. The humidity holds steady at 88% all I do is the lightest spray of the moss each evening and clean out and refill their water.

I'm sure I'm not doing things to everyone's liking but they seem to be thriving, growing slow and steady and feeding and pooping well :)

I'm thinking about a small cheap outdoor enclosure now but not sure how practical that is in the UK with our temperatures. I don't want to hear it (apart from solar heating but hard to control) it's just for a few hours on a nice day so they can roam and explore and get some sun in safety. Any thoughts?
Looks lovely! Funny how you cover the "bend-a-bridge" cave with moss same way I cover my hides:) great work! Start your own enclosure thread. I'd love to follow it. As for the SUBSTRATE (the main topic here) I'm sticking with mine (charcoal bottom layer, then reptibak layer, then coir and soil from my garden with weeds/plants transplanted from there, then grasses, weeds and moss, some rocks on surface. Still waiting to see if any invasion of some unwanted bugs from the garden ensues... :) also sticking with my little soil centipedes, earthworms and pillbugs. I'm a strong believer in bioactive substrate