red foot

victoria nagel

yesterday i bought myself my first tortoise and he was moving around the table so much almost like running laps but after that he's just burying himself in to the ground and hiding and he's still doing it this morning. is this normal for them?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Hiding in a new environment is normal but more often than not we see new torts hiding because there new environment is not set up correct. There are many factors that come in to play here...

Temps
Humidity
Bulbs
Devices used to monitor the items above
Substraight
Plants
Hides
Food

Pictures speak 1000 words. Show us everything.. and tell us step by step how you take care of your tort.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
yesterday i bought myself my first tortoise and he was moving around the table so much almost like running laps but after that he's just burying himself in to the ground and hiding and he's still doing it this morning. is this normal for them?
When a tortoise is introduced into a new environment, the first natural reaction is to check out it's boundaries, then it will go and hide. Once it realises there is no threat and feels safe it will start to come out to explore and eat as normal. Over time your little guy will be sat waiting for you to put the food down in a morning.

Providing you have everything set up ok I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Can we see your set up please.