Red footed and yellow footed tortoises

Mr.pacheco

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
This is him eating his new fruit the stuff I have to weight a few days on but fruit I didn’t there is a bit of watermelon down at the Bolton for that hydrate boostIMG_4289.jpeg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This is him eating his new fruit the stuff I have to weight a few days on but fruit I didn’t there is a bit of watermelon down at the Bolton for that hydrate boostView attachment 372256
Well done! You got this💪🏻
For the water dish you might find it worth adding a terracotta saucer, they’re considered the safest because they’re nice and shallow and textured, you’re guy will probably enjoy a soak in it, place it under the heat bulb. Just make sure it’s a new saucer, they’re pretty cheap🙂

Oh and to expand on the soaks another member mentioned.
Always be there observing a soak, don’t leave the tortoise unattended. You’ll find it useful having two tubs filled with warm water(not too warm! 85-90 degrees is fine, you can check this using a water or aquarium thermometer, they’re cheap!) because your tortoise will likely poop during a soak, completely normal lol, so it’s good to have a clean tub at the ready to transfer to😊 20-30 minutes should be ok, I personally do longer, just make sure the water doesn’t get cold!

The water should be shallow, especially one still small, just up to the the torts plastron(under side of the shell) 🙂

Once your guy is an adult, soaks can be done twice a week, we aim for Monday and Friday, so they’re getting them spread out a bit😊

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
He normals goes and soaks for a bit after he eats and then poops in it will look for the thing you said for the bottom

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
For the heat thing I found this food plate and while he eats he gets good un and trim his nails

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Is there anyway you guys could send a picture of your guys tortoise it would be nice to see them you don’t Sheba to if you can’t but if you can that would be helpful

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Is there anyway you guys could send a picture of your guys tortoise it would be nice to see them you don’t Sheba to if you can’t but if you can that would be helpful
Absolutely! This is Squirt! She’s around 13 years old now😊

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1212.jpeg
    IMG_1212.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1248.jpeg
    IMG_1248.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
So it’s a food plate that’s made out of a special stone the conducts heat and when he steps on it it trims his nails

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
Hey another question guys so I was reading a bit into to it but should tortoises have complete darkness during the night currently U don’t use a heat lamp with light I use a lamp to make light during the night should I do that or should I turn it off?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
So it’s a food plate that’s made out of a special stone the conducts heat and when he steps on it it trims his nails
Could you attach a photo of this? You don’t mean it’s one of those ‘heat rocks’ do you?
Hey another question guys so I was reading a bit into to it but should tortoises have complete darkness during the night currently U don’t use a heat lamp with light I use a lamp to make light during the night should I do that or should I turn it off?
Tortoises should have complete darkness at night yes, to achieve night heat you need to get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) which is a non light emitting bulb, it will need to be on a thermostat. Try to keep going over all the responses we've given on this thread, even the earlier responses to get more familiar with the information we’ve given you, might help make more sense of things🙂

You can actually install CHE’s and rely on those 24/7 for your heat(80-86 ambient) and have some ambient lighting on a 12 hour timer👍

COmtnLady

Colorado
Why would you want his food to be warm? Produce doesn't do well when warm.

Think about what they are like in the wild in equatorial South America. That's what we need to replicate as best we can.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Why would you want his food to be warm? Produce doesn't do well when warm.

Think about what they are like in the wild in equatorial South America. That's what we need to replicate as best we can.
I’m not sure whether they might be talking about a piece of slate potentially, there may be a slight language barrier

Mr.pacheco

Missouri
So the plate was not going to be under the heat I am getting 2 one for his food Witch is farm away from his heat lamp and one for under his heat lamp sorry for miss understanding and I have started not to keep the light on at night it works so good thanks so much for everything 🙃