Red footed shell color

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
auburn mass
Hey im hear because 3weeks ago i got a redfooted and im just wondering if there are things that determen the shell color like food tipes they eat or humidity when there younger or is it just predetermened by the parents colors. (when i say colors i mean some have lush red spots and some have duler tanish spots) thanks for your time.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
mr.tortoise said:
Hey im hear because 3weeks ago i got a redfooted and im just wondering if there are things that determen the shell color like food tipes they eat or humidity when there younger or is it just predetermened by the parents colors. (when i say colors i mean some have lush red spots and some have duler tanish spots) thanks for your time.

Good question. Shell color is pretty much determined by the parents. In other words, its genetic.
But, you might influence a growing redfoot's colors a little by what you feed it. Beta carotene can bring out red colors in many animals and my own experience with red cheek mud turtles has proved to me that they can really 'color up' when fed shrimp, krill and other natural foods that are high in beta carotenes.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
mr.tortoise said:

Hey neighbor can you post some pic's of your new tort ?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.