Red Footed Tortoise Care

rorostortoise

Location (City and/or State)
washoe valley, nevada
My baby boy is approximately 4-5 years old and i got him from my moms house, who has been caring for him since he was one. I know the basics of care but I need to know more detailed information on diet, housing, UV, regular maintenance, and potential medical problems to look out for. Does anyone have any sources or info up their sleeve?

ND135

Maryland
My baby boy is approximately 4-5 years old and i got him from my moms house, who has been caring for him since he was one. I know the basics of care but I need to know more detailed information on diet, housing, UV, regular maintenance, and potential medical problems to look out for. Does anyone have any sources or info up their sleeve?
I’ve had a red foot since January. She is a little under 2 years old and Im learning something new about her every day.

She was a surprise gift and I knew absolutely nothing about caring for her. Ive used

EcoEarth coconut loose coconut fiber substrate
Mixed with 100% natural cypress mulch
Ambient temp 80 degrees
Basking temp 85-90 degrees
Humidity around 70%
I soak her in warm (not hot) water every other day

Daily she gets a variety of green leaf red leaf lettuce turnip greens kale and dandelion greens.
Butternut squash yellow squash and traditional zucchini

Fruit twice a week - strawberry mango raspberries are her favorites.

Protein I’ve learned to give her only a little once a week or every other week. I give her scrambled or hard boiled egg. Mazuri small tortoise diet (soaked in warm water then strained for her or a half teaspoon of Mizuro protein pellets.

Mine of course is a baby so quantifies and enclosure will vary for yours but she has been a little joy to care for and learn about.

I love this forum it’s been a big help

Ask away…

rorostortoise

washoe valley, nevada
@ZEROPILOT should be able to help you. Can you post pictures of the enclosure, lights and temperature?
bulbs run at 75-85 degrees depending on the temperature of the house. here are some pictures with scissors and a shoebox for reference. the box serves as his hide but im going to build him a huge enclosure in the yard

Attachments

• IMG_9839.jpeg
    IMG_9839.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9840.jpeg
    IMG_9840.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9841.jpeg
    IMG_9841.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Here’s a care sheet for your Redfoot

Also, here’s another helpful general care sheet for new owners with a lot of great info.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954

ND135

Maryland
bulbs run at 75-85 degrees depending on the temperature of the house. here are some pictures with scissors and a shoebox for reference. the box serves as his hide but im going to build him a huge enclosure in the yard
What a cutie red foot. Awwwwww

rorostortoise

washoe valley, nevada
The bulbs concern me.
What are they?
What do you have for UVB?
Is the enclosure open topped?
What is the ambient humidity and how are you achieving it?
What are you feeding?
he goes outside whenever it is sunny while i lord over him and the lights give off UVB. the enclosure is not topped and humidity is maybe 60% because that the normal humidity of my house. any humidifier i have out is evaporated as i live in the dry dry desert. I feed him tortoise kibble and leafy green vegetables.