Red footed tortoise enclosure?

birdandtortoiselover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384233206.274920.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384233235.159798.jpg
(Ignore unsightly human in the picture)
I have one 2 year old red footed tortoise. The photos don't quite capture the entire enclosure but they show most of it. The bush is large enough that she has several shallow dugouts of sorts underneath it, as well as one under what used to be a pet carrier. I don't use an artificial humidity/heat source because I live in south Florida where it's hot and humid year round.

Is this enclosure suitable for her? Should changes be made? Knowledgable input much appreciated, thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would do a couple things...the space/area appears good...I would however tack down the bottom of the black fencing, also cover the fencing so that she can not see through it----especially since the road is so near....also, she is clearly visible from the road/public---I would make this not so....

Kenzi W

I agree. She probably would want to escape more if she could see outside the enclosure. Maybe cover the fence with wood or something?
It looks like it's a nice size for her though!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Agree with a barrier at the bottom. The area looks good. Because Redfoots like warmer shaded area's, I would attach shade cloth over the top of half of the enclosure. Shade cloth also helps to hold humidity in if the ground is wet.
I see that you live in Florida. Good!

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Looks very good. Listen to the other members and also, make sure that bush is not toxic.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good tip about hiding her fro public view, too.
Lots of kids walking by will find a Redfoot tortoise something that they can't resist......
We live in a great location to house Redfoot!

AnimalLady

You can also use Coroplast to cover up the bottom so she cant see out. Its sold at Home depot in sheets that you can cut to size. Also, like others have said, I'd relocate her to somewhere no one but my family could see her.

I was talking to my neighbor the other day and he mentioned that he had torts too, he housed them on the side of his house, he came home from work one day and they were gone. He was positive they were stolen. People can suck. Good luck!