Red Footed Tortoise supplements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevier12023

5 Year Member
So I'm getting a red footed tortoise in a few months and I'm really confused on the calcium supplements. I've read so many different things that I have no idea what to do.
#1. What kind of calcium and vitamin supplements do I need?
#2. Can I use the TNT supplements with the cuttlebone only when using a UVB bulb?
#3. How many times a week do I sprinkle it on the food for a baby and up to an adult?

By the way, this will be an indoor tortoise for 90% of the time.

Thanks for reading!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
A huge amount depends on what type of diet you are going to offer....if you offer a well rounded/varied diet then the needs for supplements should not be a concern.....supplements are designed in the event you have a shortcoming in the diet....

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
I've always heard that since calcium is water soluble, that you really can't overdo it... as long as the tortoise is well hydrated.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
If indoors I would always use supplements. He may or may not like cuttlefish bone but good to have. I use Nekton MSA for mine as my calcium powder-can buy it on amazon. Regarding post above, yes you can overdo it, thickening of the shell can be bad. I use it everyday but in tiny amounts.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Supplements for tortoises are exactly like they are for humans- even though a lot of people make a lot of money selling them, they are not really needed if you feed the tortoise right.

What many of us do is to offer a SMALL amount of supplementation as an insurance policy. I use a pinch of my own mix about once a week, or maybe a bit more often if I don't have high calcium greens available.

(My mix is in the Library, on this page near the bottom- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition/nutrients

Status
Not open for further replies.