Red footed Turtle

piper152

Location (City and/or State)
Key Largo, Florida
Hello, I recently was adopted by a red footed turtle. It is an adult, not sure of the sex. I love animals and have been feeding this one for a few days now. It lives in my carport under a cabinet. I am open to keeping it and give it a nice home, however, I would be open to giving it to someone who is very equipped to give it a wonderful life. I am located in Key Largo, Florida.
Thanks,
Steve [email protected]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are not native to your area so it's likely someone's pet. Please inform local animal shelters, vets, pet stores and keep an eye on craigslist to find the rightful owner.
After that has been done and some time has gone by, then it's yours to keep or give away.
But be sure to say its a Redfoot tortoise as they are known are tortoises not turtles.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Could we get a photo of the tortoise and the space you’re keeping it? If the original owner can’t be found and you are willing to keep them, we can go over an appropriate set up and diet😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yeah definitely an adult red foot, if we could get a photo of the plastron(underside of shell) and tail, we should be able to sex them for you judging by their size.

I wouldn’t let them walk on gravel like that, some tortoises eat it and become impacted.
Florida is good for housing them outdoors so I’m presuming a safe large outdoor enclosure is going to be the plan if you’re keeping them?🙂

piper152

Key Largo, Florida
For right now, I have stacked concrete blocks two high in front of the cabinet he is under most of the time. It gives him an area to move around. I also have a UVB light shining down. I misted him with water earlier to help hydrate. Will sit him in water tomorrow for a soaking as well.the eyes are watering which concerns me. No fluid from nose. I will contact vet tomorrow to see if they can check him out.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
For right now, I have stacked concrete blocks two high in front of the cabinet he is under most of the time. It gives him an area to move around. I also have a UVB light shining down. I misted him with water earlier to help hydrate. Will sit him in water tomorrow for a soaking as well.the eyes are watering which concerns me. No fluid from nose. I will contact vet tomorrow to see if they can check him out.
If it’s an all in one uvb and basking light, those aren’t ideal and can actually hurt their eyes, if you’re wanting to set them up indoors I can definitely help walk you through an appropriate indoor set up with the right equipment, but for the size they are and where you live, I think an outdoor space will be most ideal🙂
Vet wise, be aware that most of them don’t actually know how to appropriately treat tortoises, most are following old outdated care advice and some of their treatment methods can do more harm than good, like vitamin injections for example. It’s important to find the right one.

If you can’t find the owner and are up for keeping them, we can help advise getting them set up properly which should hopefully get them thriving for you, which could avoid a vet trip altogether, glad you’ve made your way here🥰

piper152

Key Largo, Florida
If it’s an all in one uvb and basking light, those aren’t ideal and can actually hurt their eyes, if you’re wanting to set them up indoors I can definitely help walk you through an appropriate indoor set up with the right equipment, but for the size they are and where you live, I think an outdoor space will be most ideal🙂
Vet wise, be aware that most of them don’t actually know how to appropriately treat tortoises, most are following old outdated care advice and some of their treatment methods can do more harm than good, like vitamin injections for example. It’s important to find the right one.

If you can’t find the owner and are up for keeping them, we can help advise getting them set up properly which should hopefully get them thriving for you, which could avoid a vet trip altogether, glad you’ve made your way here🥰
Thank you, I am feeding it romaine lettuce, carrots, grapes, small piece of banana, and apple. Also gave him a little tomato. Feeding in morning. Any suggestions on what I should feed?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you, I am feeding it romaine lettuce, carrots, grapes, small piece of banana, and apple. Also gave him a little tomato. Feeding in morning. Any suggestions on what I should feed?
These are some greens to feed(bear in mind the lettuce isn’t the most nutritional but fine to add as part of a varied diet);

Lambs lettuce
Romaine
Red leaf lettuce
Frisèe lettuce
Endive(chicory)
Spring greens
Kale
Rocket
Cress on occasion
The odd Brussel sprout on occasion

There’s also plenty of different weeds you can add! Providing you’re sourcing them from an area that is free of any harmful chemicals like pesticides and fertiliser, so be WARY! There’s lots of lookalikes that can be toxic, it might be best to grow your own from seeds online. We add dandelions and broadleaf plantain, I’ll add a link below you might find useful to look through🙂

Now let’s talk fruit! We remove any pips/seed/stones that are either toxic or a chocking hazard, so for my list, we’d remove the mango stone, plum stone, peach stone, nectarine stone, cherry stones(chocking hazard!), apricot stones, appel&pear seeds(toxic)

Ones we feed more regularly(but rotate cause variety is key):

Mango
Papaya
Pineapple
Raspberries
Melon
Strawberries
Watermelon(not super nutritional but a good hydration boost)
Plum
Peach
Nectarines
Cherries
Apricot
Blueberries
Figs
Guava
Prickly pear

Ones we feel less regularly:

Appel
Banana
Blackberries
Grapes
Pear

Those last ones are more of a treat basis. You can also try cherry tomatoes on occasion but not often.

We also sometimes grate a bit of carrot on our red foots food(not a lot) or some courgette, you can also add bell peppers on occasion, and they’ll also enjoy some mushroom once a week or so!

Hope this helps give you some ideas for variety🙂 we try not to give ours too much of just the one type of fruit in any given week, however she gets papaya pretty much daily, it makes up a large majority of their diet in the wild so definitely get your hands on some!

Also they’ll need some protein every 7-10 days, we personally give ours a head sized protein of steamed chicken breast, or a mouse we defrost from the reptile shop.

Calcium power can be added on 3 feeds a week.

Hope all this helps, any further questions, please ask😊

piper152

Key Largo, Florida
These are some greens to feed(bear in mind the lettuce isn’t the most nutritional but fine to add as part of a varied diet);

Lambs lettuce
Romaine
Red leaf lettuce
Frisèe lettuce
Endive(chicory)
Spring greens
Kale
Rocket
Cress on occasion
The odd Brussel sprout on occasion

There’s also plenty of different weeds you can add! Providing you’re sourcing them from an area that is free of any harmful chemicals like pesticides and fertiliser, so be WARY! There’s lots of lookalikes that can be toxic, it might be best to grow your own from seeds online. We add dandelions and broadleaf plantain, I’ll add a link below you might find useful to look through🙂

Now let’s talk fruit! We remove any pips/seed/stones that are either toxic or a chocking hazard, so for my list, we’d remove the mango stone, plum stone, peach stone, nectarine stone, cherry stones(chocking hazard!), apricot stones, appel&pear seeds(toxic)

Ones we feed more regularly(but rotate cause variety is key):

Mango
Papaya
Pineapple
Raspberries
Melon
Strawberries
Watermelon(not super nutritional but a good hydration boost)
Plum
Peach
Nectarines
Cherries
Apricot
Blueberries
Figs
Guava
Prickly pear

Ones we feel less regularly:

Appel
Banana
Blackberries
Grapes
Pear

Those last ones are more of a treat basis. You can also try cherry tomatoes on occasion but not often.

We also sometimes grate a bit of carrot on our red foots food(not a lot) or some courgette, you can also add bell peppers on occasion, and they’ll also enjoy some mushroom once a week or so!

Hope this helps give you some ideas for variety🙂 we try not to give ours too much of just the one type of fruit in any given week, however she gets papaya pretty much daily, it makes up a large majority of their diet in the wild so definitely get your hands on some!

Also they’ll need some protein every 7-10 days, we personally give ours a head sized protein of steamed chicken breast, or a mouse we defrost from the reptile shop.

Calcium power can be added on 3 feeds a week.

Hope all this helps, any further questions, please ask😊
Thank you!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That's a lovely, healthy looking Redfoot. Protein is important. Hard boiled egg, in the shell, cut in half is good and usually greatly enjoyed. Once per week is good. Sardines in water. Dry dog food pellets, soaked and mixed with the greens. Opuntia cactus pads, offered whole. Be careful not to offer any hard food like carrot or pumpkin chopped up in pieces that could stick in his throat and choke him. Feed large pieces or grater it . Pumpkin vine flowers and leaves.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
How do I estimate the age?
Tbh there’s no way to know for sure on age without the hatch date, we can make an educated estimate at best but even that could be off, if I had to guess, I’d say this one looks over ten judging by the weathering on their shell🙂