red head lettuce

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
can greek tortoises eat red head lettuce? I didnt see it on any list but im just making sure.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Is there a diference between red leaf lettuce and red head lettuce and how can you tell?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, they az well as other tortoise can and do enjoy;
Romaine
Red leaf lettuce
Butter head organic lettuce
a multitude of other lettuce species

While they love the lettuces this should be given as a PART of their regular diet...I find that during the hot months that including the lettuce family 2 - 3 times a week not only makes em appear as though they are loving it ...but it also increases their water intake and assures a bit more hydration during the hot days....now, I would suggest not iceberg lettuce ....as it is a bit different than romaines...red leaf and butter head organic lettuce....in my opinion....

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Red head lettuce looks more like iceberg lettuce except with a red top, while red leaf lettuce looks more like romaine with a red top...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you mean raddiccio (looks like a head of iceburg, but is red and white), then it is a very good food for your tortoises. Besides raddiccio, I also use red- and green-leaf lettuce. As long as you also feed them a nice variety of other things, there's nothing wrong with including these lettuces in their diet.

red leaf lettuce
redleaflettuce.jpg

raddiccio
radicchio2.jpg

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The lettuces get a lot of bad reputations. There is nothing inherently dangerous in iceberg unless it is a major part of a mediocre diet. In actual fact, the beloved Romaine is not really a lot better nutritionally.

Green-leaf and red-leaf lettuces are both better and very similar to each other. My guys traditionally have preferred red-leaf, possibly because of the streak of color.

Status
Not open for further replies.