RED SPOTS on turtle shell help please

TheSun

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta
IMG_1358.jpeg
My 4 year-old male, yellow belly slider turtle has red markings on his shell in certain areas of his neck. Namely, under the neck skin, and shell. It also is appearing in the back of his legs, and under his tail on the shell and in some parts of his skin. He also appears lethargic, but has a healthy appetite. His tank is at optimal temperatures and humidity and he has a healthy basking schedule.

I can’t afford veterinary services at this time, so I’d like to know first what this is, and if there’s anything I can do to treat it at home.

Attachments

• IMG_1355.jpeg
    IMG_1355.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big of a filter? Turtles need good filtration. My first thought is too dirty of a tank.

TheSun

Atlanta
I'm not sure of the exact size but I know it does a good job, I keep the tank pretty clean with frequent maintenance. Are you aware of what this condition is though?

TheSun

Atlanta
hm, I never considered that... I'll do some research on it.

Is there anything I can do to treat shell rot?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think it's rot. I think it's an infection of some sort. Being on his shell and on the cut? on leg. I would treat the water with an antibiotic solution if they have it or seek a vet visit.

TheSun

Atlanta
I don't think it's rot. I think it's an infection of some sort. Being on his shell and on the cut? on leg. I would treat the water with an antibiotic solution if they have it or seek a vet visit.
You think he has a cut? Where?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Odd that it runs the entire rear underside of the carapace. Looks apparent around both rear legs.

TheSun

Atlanta
No actually, I think you may be right. When I used to have to give my turtle injections for respiratory problems a few months ago, the markings the vet and I would leave looked like that from the needle.

Not necessarily open wound looking, but like something was there at one point. And now that it's blown up it also looks like there's bruising around the back of his leg surrounding that area unique to the other sides of him. I think you may have solved my problem. I was thinking sepsis, but sepsis is a result of some kind of physical injury that entered into the bloodstream but I couldn't find it, and now I think you just did.