Redfoot Enclosure - Someday

Status
Not open for further replies.

katies

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, WA
Here are some picture of the enclosure we are working on for the RF we hope to adopt in the near future. Would love to tap into your collective wisdom for things to improve upon our starting point here. I really looked to Terryo's set up. I know aquarium's can be controversial, but it makes sens to me from the heat and humidity standpoint. Plus this aquarium is quite large...6 feet x 18 inches. I scored it off of craigslist from a prior snake keeper for a great price. It has a custom built stand that is insulated and has a heat pad under one side (we have it under the hide) but could move the hide if you all think it should be in a slightly cooler location. I have my "thick skin" suit on so let the critiques begin ;-)!

Don't know why this one didn't go through the first time....

Attachments

• enclosure 2.jpg
    enclosure 2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 237
  • RF enclosure.jpg
    RF enclosure.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 215

katies

5 Year Member
Olympia, WA
So we put a thermometer through the substrate down to the glass under the hide and it registered at 120 degrees! Yikes! I have moved the hide off the heating pad area but still have it on the warmer half of the tank. Do you think it will be okay to have the heating pad there with a hefty layer of substrate on top? Thanks again for your help!

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
That's a huge aquarium! Looks good! I wish I had that kind of room in my house. Thank goodness my turtle is still tiny! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My own personal opinion is it should be okay. Of course, you might want to clarify what your calling " a hefty" depth. :cool: :cool: When mine go under the substrate, it tends to be just below surface, not deep "let's dig to China" digging. :D Also I tend to give tortoises a bit of credit, if he starts digging down and finds himself getting too warm, I would hope he would have the sense enough to move away from the heat source. :rolleyes: Third thought is the substrate being damp will perhaps take off some of the heat.

I like your tank. Even without a tortoise, it has started to become a lovely accent to your home.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
If you're worried about the heat pad being too hot you can get a thermostat with a probe, set it to whatever temp you'd like as the high as it will cut off the power to the mat when it gets there and turn it back on when it cools a few degrees.

I have this one with my corn snake.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
pdrobber said:
If you're worried about the heat pad being too hot you can get a thermostat with a probe, set it to whatever temp you'd like as the high as it will cut off the power to the mat when it gets there and turn it back on when it cools a few degrees.

I have this one with my corn snake.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Good idea! I tend to forget about those. :rolleyes:

katies

5 Year Member
Olympia, WA
Marty333 said:
How many bags of cypress mulch did you use? :p It looks great!

I put in a big bag of organic soil, the covered that with a couple blocks of coconut coir and then put one bag of cyprus mulch on top of that. I think next time I change it out I will use all coconut coir as it retains moisture so well and was pretty inexpensive at the nursery.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The only change I would suggest is adding a hide across both ends. Take some bark or fake bark the length of the tank and about 6" wide and just prop up one end. Ideally, they should be able to climb on top from the lowest end or find exactly the right comfort zone underneath.

It also looks like you have plenty of room for a small herd of hermit crabs too! They will help clean the place up and tend to be active in the evening when the tort has gone to bed.

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Traverse City, MI
Madkins007 said:
It also looks like you have plenty of room for a small herd of hermit crabs too! They will help clean the place up and tend to be active in the evening when the tort has gone to bed.

Hermit crabs eat tortoise poo? I did not know this!

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Madkins007 said:

I am amazed by this!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Hermit crabs are natural scavengers and fun to watch on their own. It is fascinating to watch two such primitive creatures in a nicely set-up habitat. They do best in groups, though.

I'm not going to claim that everyone gets the same results, but I rarely see poo in my Tortarium with 4 torts and 4 crabs. The crabs also eat whatever food may be left out when they come out in the evening.

katies

5 Year Member
Olympia, WA
I am not sure how many gallons to be honest. 18 tall X 18 wide x 72 long. I am sure there is someway to figure out how many gallons that would hold...but my math skills aren't up for that this morning ;-)

Cherbear said:
What is that, 125 gallon?

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
So the hermit crabs don't bother the tortoise's or anything? Do you still have to feed them or do they just eat poop and scraps?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm pretty sure it's a 125 gal. That's the same one I got for Pio.

Mark...I am putting Solo in a much bigger viv, and would like to put some of the hermit crabs in there, but I'm concerned that a nosey little tort might go smelling the crab, and get a chunk taken out of her nose. Could that happen? Some of them have really big claws.

Status
Not open for further replies.