Redfoot mycoplasma - no nasal discharge

rowanzdz

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
About a month ago I moved back into my apartment and took my 11 yr old redfoot with me. I started noticing some sneezes and he stopped eating (super weird for him my guy is a piggy). I boosted his temps and he started eating again but still has sneezes/coughs/loud breathing.
My mom (retired zoo vet) called up one of her old zoo colleagues and she suggested it might be mycoplasma. We took X-rays which were normal and did a CBC which showed signs of inflammation. We started him on a weekly injection of enrofloxacin while waiting for his myco results. We just got the results back and he’s positive for M. Agassizii.
Hes been having diarrhea so I’ve stopped all fruit and have been feeding him more mazuri pellets along with his dandelion/turnip/endive greens. He’s been less active than normal but the other day he woke me up bright and early to the sounds of him pleasuring himself 🤢. I’ll take that as a good sign.
Despite a 4 weeks of enro he’s still having noisy breathing, sneezes, and diarrhea. I’ve seen bubbles in his eyes a few times but not once have I seen any nasal discharge. Soaking him doesn’t produce any neither does pushing his head into his shell. When I use a flashlight I can see a shiny reflection of a bubble or something wet deep inside his nares but his turbinates are so large I can barely see anything. I feel as though it is odd to not see nasal discharge at all? He has not had any open mouth breathing thankfully.
In addition do you guys recommend ceftaz? It’s not the easiest med to get a hold of and it’s certainly not cheap but we will try it if you guys recommend it. We will also be trying a nasal flush. Anything else I should know? I feel like there aren’t many cases of myco in red foots. Also basking temp is 90, ambient is 80-85, night time is 75. Humidity is 70%-80%. Im so scared for my baby. He hasn’t been around another tortoise since he was a hatchling so he must have gotten it then. My tort is male so I was not planning on getting another tortoise anyways. I recognize this will be a lifelong condition but can be managed with appropriate care.

Sources - here is the paper we were recommended

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
The best way you can aid his recovery is to keep the ambient temperatures over 85F, day and night. So I recommend you raise your night temp with a CHE or a RHP.

For a nasal flush, you can use just a sterile saline solution. It doesn't have to be meant for reptiles.

Could you share details on your set up, so we can fine tune it if needed?
What kind of lighting, heating and UV are you using specifically? (If you can find photos of the packaging on the internet it would be helpful!)
What substrate do you use?
Do you have a closed chamber?
What size is your enclousure?

For the meds, I can't really help but I am sure someone will come along soon. @ZEROPILOT is our redfoot expert.