Redfoot shell

KSA05

Location (City and/or State)
Wolverhampton
when I first got my redfoot she was as colourful as anything but now her shells colour has reduced. Could this be because of too much UVB (12 hours daily for last 4 years) and also using basking lamp as I have learnt that it’s not good for their shells as they aren’t basking tortoises so I’ve now switched to a ceramic heater. Is there anything I could do to get her shell back to being colourful. I have also noticed that when her shell is wet is shows more colour. I will attach pictures of before and after. Ignore the abscess on her face on the second one it’s been dealt with :)2761338E-60E5-4C00-89E9-386ED8FC040D.jpegAF1079DC-0BC0-4488-9FB4-08F23C7270BB.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
I think it's pretty normal - new keratin usually looks more smooth and bright colored. As it ages/hardens the color fades out. Also, there is some variation between regions of origin for redfoots (some have brownish hue of the shell, some gray/pale black and some have more pronounced black).

If you have a low wattage flood basking lamp you can still use it. Redfoots don't bask for hours and can be kept without a basking lamp yet there are benefits in providing a basking area. Ceramic heat emitters (or radiant heat panels) on a thermostat are essential element for maintaining ambient temperature.

If you want to give some "color boost" to tortoise shell, you can apply a small amount of coconut oil to the shell after soaking. Make sure to remove oil excess with a paper towel. It should be done once in 2-4 weeks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is the enclosure?
The humidity needed to be much higher than it was as she has lots of pyramiding and looks like she is in a closed chamber. Being to dry doesn't help.
80% humidity with dry one the top of the substrate but damp on the bottom
They, most tortoises, usually change a lot from hatchling.