Redness behind ear???

chelsx

Location (City and/or State)
Barnsley, UK
Hi guys!
I have a russian tort who is currently being treated for an RI, having antibiotics anti inflammatories and nebs, he’s dehydrated and underweight too! We started treatment on thursday and i noticed this redness behind his ear, i mentioned this to the exotics vet who said it could be nothing could be something … what do you guys think? it seems more red today!

TIA xxx IMG_4401.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4392.jpeg
    IMG_4392.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
I would imagine that if it has gotten worse since yesterday that maybe your baby is having an allergic reaction to the one of the meds. Could be inflammation (hotspot) for an infection as well...I am not sure, definitely not an expert but the right answer will come along shortly I am sure. We have tons of knowledge throughout the forum and someone will come along and respond.

No matter what, please keep us posted so we can learn! Thank you, take care

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Is there a sharp point on the shell that might be digging into the neck causing irritation or something like that?

chelsx

Barnsley, UK
I would imagine that if it has gotten worse since yesterday that maybe your baby is having an allergic reaction to the one of the meds. Could be inflammation (hotspot) for an infection as well...I am not sure, definitely not an expert but the right answer will come along shortly I am sure. We have tons of knowledge throughout the forum and someone will come along and respond.

No matter what, please keep us posted so we can learn! Thank you, take care
Hi love! Bathed it with some F10 and tbf it looks more like a bruise than anything else! Maybe a hotspot! there is one on the other side too - makes me think he’s banged it maybe! either way i’m going to get the vet to check on his next visit! Thankyou my dear x

chelsx

Barnsley, UK
Is there a sharp point on the shell that might be digging into the neck causing irritation or something like that?
When he stops pouting at me for giving him an injection and a neb i’ll check - he does have some pointy edges to his shell and also does have a wooden structure that he might have caught it on! Thankyou so much! x

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I would try to keep the site clean and dry/well ventilated. Make sure your enclosure has the correct temperatures, since it helps with fighting off the infection.

I would try gently scrubbing the area with a dilute povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine solution. It should work for hot spots/other bacterial infection on the skin. If this doesn't work, the infection might be fungal. If it gets worse, do not delay consulting your vet again. Since it got worse overnight, I doubt it is nothing.

chelsx

Barnsley, UK
I would try to keep the site clean and dry/well ventilated. Make sure your enclosure has the correct temperatures, since it helps with fighting off the infection.

I would try gently scrubbing the area with a dilute povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine solution. It should work for hot spots/other bacterial infection on the skin. If this doesn't work, the infection might be fungal. If it gets worse, do not delay consulting your vet again. Since it got worse overnight, I doubt it is nothing.
Hi! Thankyou for your reply! I did clean with F10 and it looks better, more bruise like! Thankyou for the suggestion, the vet will call some time soon next week with his swab results so i’ll mention it to him then and see what he thinks! x