Reduced tortoise appetite

CaggyQ

Location (City and/or State)
Donegal
Hey everyone,

So sorry… another update!

So Yoshi is feeling cold to the touch and is definitely not as active has he should be. I’ve been using a digital thermometer and it says the basking is around 32 degrees celsius and the cooler side in the twenties. However the room itself is a bit cooler due to abnormally cold weather for this time of year.

I’ve spoken to the reptile experts and I’m getting the new lighting setup in the post. In the meantime, I got another clamp lamp and a basking light (but I raised it higher and put in a 80w bulb) to not make the cooler section too hot. I have a night heat lamp that I’m going to put on now in that area to keep him a bit warmer tonight. I do have a heat mat but I don’t have a thermostat to monitor that, so I’m cautious of using it.

I’ve attached a photo for you to see. Do we think I should move him back into his vivarium temporarily until I get this sorted? I’m just cautious of moving him again to cause extra stress!

😵‍💫

Attachments

• IMG_2974.jpeg
    IMG_2974.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

CaggyQ

Donegal
Hey everyone,

So Yoshi is feeling cold to the touch and is definitely not as active has he should be. I’ve been using a digital thermometer and it says the basking is around 32 degrees celsius and the cooler side in the twenties. However the room itself is a bit cooler due to abnormally cold weather for this time of year.

I’ve spoken to the reptile experts and I’m getting the new lighting setup in the post. In the meantime, I got another clamp lamp and a basking light (but I raised it higher and put in a 80w bulb) to not make the cooler section too hot. I have a night heat lamp that I’m going to put on now in that area to keep him a bit warmer tonight. I do have a heat mat but I don’t have a thermostat to monitor that, so I’m cautious of using it.

I’ve attached a photo for you to see. Do we think I should move him back into his vivarium temporarily until I get this sorted? I’m just cautious of moving him again to cause extra stress!

😵‍💫
Also thought I’d post up the pic with the nightlight, just at the door of his hide xx

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    839.3 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hey everyone,

😵‍💫
Never apologise for an update, always happy to be kept in the loop🥰

Have you got a temp gun? If not I highly recommend buying one, basking area directly under the bulb should be around 36/37c during the day, I'm wondering whether the floodlight needs to be a tiny bit lower, I wouldn’t necessarily up the wattage as first port of call, I’d lower it ever so slightly, wait for an hour and check with the temp gun.
It’s ok that you’re using another floodlight for now to make up the heat, but once you get some CHE’s it’ll be best to have just the one basking area next to the t5 uv.
Never use any kind of heat mat that the tortoise can have access to, it’s so easy for them to overheat or burn themselves on, but if you’re talking about one to put on the roof of the enclosure, you’re right that it’s still best to use with a thermostat.

I think once you’ve added a CHE or two, running on a thermostat, temperatures should be better for you guys.
Also thought I’d post up the pic with the nightlight, just at the door of his hide xx
also this bulb may be ok as a temporary measure to keep them warm enough tonight, but tortoises need complete darkness at night, these kind of bulbs are best avoided, the ceramics will work best🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
Yes, basking area should be much hotter than 32C. Actually, even hotter than 36-37. You should measure 39-40C under the lamp - leave the thermometer probe under basking bulb for 1-2 hours and check. By the way, what are temperatures in the cold part at day and night?

You can attach the heat mat to the bottom of the lid or one of the walls in his sleeping section. Of course check temperature there, but I don't expect it to be too high, just right to switch off the nightlight.

I don't know long will it take to "tame" the temperatures. I would put him back in the old vivarium - it's still familiar for him, a little stress of moving back is better than dealing with sickness in my opinion.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The basking zone directly underneath can go up to 40c for sure, but if you can’t quite get it up to that, just a few degrees lower(38ish) is still a good temperature under the bulb I think and providing the rest of the enclosure is warm enough during the day(which hopefully the ceramics help with)🙂

Perhaps until the temperatures are more stable, the vivarium will be better so you know he’s warm enough and will hopefully perk him back up😊

You can get the temp gun and install the CHE’s, have a play around to get the temps up to standard, then move your guy back in🥰

CaggyQ

Donegal
Hello everyone!

Before I begin my ramble, can I say that I really appreciate both of your advice on Yoshi’s setup. 😊 Honestly I’d be lost without your support!

So I moved him back into his vivarium this morning and he’s very appreciative of the heat 😅 (see pic attached). I’m going to work on balancing the temperatures out before I put him back in. Just so I’m definitely on the same page as you both, this is my new updated Yoshi’s palace wishlist:

1. UVB pole (T5)
2 x2 CHE bulbs and bonus lamp
3.Thermostat (I may need your help for the setup for this)
4. New set of thermometer probes (I want to keep his current set in his viv).
5. Digital thermometer (handheld one)
6. LED Strip to make his home jazzy.

Is there anything at all I’m missing here? I removed the night light and I’ll use the heat mat on the roof once I get the thermostat 😊

I can imagine Yoshi telling a story about his in forty years time: “I can remember the cold of July 2024” 😂

Karen 🐢

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello everyone!

Before I begin my ramble, can I say that I really appreciate both of your advice on Yoshi’s setup. 😊 Honestly I’d be lost without your support!

So I moved him back into his vivarium this morning and he’s very appreciative of the heat 😅 (see pic attached). I’m going to work on balancing the temperatures out before I put him back in. Just so I’m definitely on the same page as you both, this is my new updated Yoshi’s palace wishlist:

1. UVB pole (T5)

Is there anything at all I’m missing here? I removed the night light and I’ll use the heat mat on the roof once I get the thermostat 😊

I can imagine Yoshi telling a story about his in forty years time: “I can remember the cold of July 2024” 😂

Karen 🐢
Bless him! Glad he’s enjoying being back in the warmth🥰
Your list sounds good to me! You’ve covered correct uv, ceramics for back heat/night heat, thermostat to run them on which we can help you with setting😊, new probes to measure and ambient lighting, sounds perfect😁

Did you add temp gun to the list? That will definitely come in handy!

lol he probably will🤣🐢💚

CaggyQ

Donegal
Bless him! Glad he’s enjoying being back in the warmth🥰
Your list sounds good to me! You’ve covered correct uv, ceramics for back heat/night heat, thermostat to run them on which we can help you with setting😊, new probes to measure and ambient lighting, sounds perfect😁

Did you add temp gun to the list? That will definitely come in handy!

lol he probably will🤣🐢💚
Oh my heart couldn’t handle him today. I was setting up the vivarium and getting the temp right before I woke him up, but when I looked he’d left his hide and was standing on the ceramic light on the table top (that was turned off) hoping for some heat. 😭 I meant to attach this pic. He’s very happy right now and is already eating 😅

I’ll definitely add a gun to the list. I was just off the phone to the reptile store with my list and he’s going to price everything up and get it ready for postage. I’ll order one of the temp guns off Amazon. I do have one but I saw this really fancy one that I’d trust more!

Attachments

• IMG_2989.jpeg
    IMG_2989.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello everyone!

1. UVB pole (T5)

Karen 🐢
I'm glad that Yoshi enjoys July warmth as it is supposed to be and not as it is in reality :) You have noticed the trouble on time and mitigated it. Kudos to you!

I hope, the shop will send you the list of good they are planning to pack. It won't be great to get wrong stuff for him (e.g Repti Zoo lamp instead of ZooMed or dimming thermostat for CHE). The list sounds fine otherwise.

I would start thinking about covering the whole table as in the winter room temperatures will be even lower. Greenhouse top is an easy and cheap solution, but not superb at holding heat. Perhaps, this can be corrected with additional insulation placed over it. I would go for a some DIY frame, but it's up to you. Good heat retaining cover would save you a pretty sum on electricity bills and lamps (as less powerful lamps are cheaper).

CaggyQ

Donegal
That’s an excellent idea: I’m going to look into how to better retain heat as soon as I get the temperature regulated for the summer. 😊 I’m pretty worried about him still: his desire to eat is now not the best. And he’s pretty unadventurous in his old vivarium (he’s really grown out of it a no d it’s definitely not very exciting). I’m thinking of taking him to the vet. I’m not sure if it’s stress with all the moving, or the heat of the vivarium that’s making him very disengaged. His eyes are healthy, there’s no sign of respiratory issues and he’s very strong when I give him his bath. The vet is a bit of a journey away, and I’m worried about adding extra stress too… unless I book an appointment for next week, keep him warm as I prepare the lighting situation with the table top, and then only take him if there’s no sign of improvement?

At the moment I feel like I’m going everything wrong 😵‍💫

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
At the moment I feel like I’m going everything wrong 😵‍💫
Believe me I’ve felt the exact way you’re feeling, even now I have moments of worry about doing everything right, the amount of times people like @Alex and the Redfoot have had to talk me down is quite comical really, they’ve honestly been saints with me🥲

So trust me don’t ever beat yourself up! You’re doing great trying to get things sorted❤️

I wouldn’t rush to the vet just yet, aside from being less active than usual and slightly decreased appetite, would you say he’s still eating some and pooping normal?
If heat hasn’t been up to par that could definitely be a contributing factor, what are they reading in the old viv you’ve moved him back into?

CaggyQ

Donegal
Believe me I’ve felt the exact way you’re feeling, even now I have moments of worry about doing everything right, the amount of times people like @Alex and the Redfoot have had to talk me down is quite comical really, they’ve honestly been saints with me🥲

So trust me don’t ever beat yourself up! You’re doing great trying to get things sorted❤️

I wouldn’t rush to the vet just yet, aside from being less active than usual and slightly decreased appetite, would you say he’s still eating some and pooping normal?
If heat hasn’t been up to par that could definitely be a contributing factor, what are they reading in the old viv you’ve moved him back into?
Honesty, I would be lost without you and @Alex and the Redfoot’s advice. 😊 Yoshi’s definitely causing a few sleepless nights at the moment, and you have no idea how much I appreciate the help.

He’s been eating little pockets of food, but he hasnt been as enthusiastic as he usually is. He’s been going to the toilet as normal, but in the vivarium spends most of the time in his cave. The temperature at the basking end is 38 degrees celsius, and the cooler end is around 27 degrees. I have been thinking that it’s maybe too hot and I need to reduce the wattage of the bulb? It’s 100w at the moment.

In terms of his table top, because it’s quite large the reptile store have suggested getting a thermal zoo pro, which hangs from the ceiling and contains two D3 tube bulbs, a basking spot and a Che bulb. It’s made by Arcadia. The only thing I’m thinking is problematic is the fact it will hang from the ceiling… I doubt my mum (who I’m living with temporarily while I save for a house) would be pleased with me drilling into the roof of her house 😂 it seems very impressive though…

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Aw we’re always here to help, I love the community on here, I’d be lost without it too🥰

I think it looks ok, from my understanding, the one t5 fitting is for a jungle dawn led bar which is the ambient lighting(from what I can tell) then the other t5 fitting is for your 12% uv. Then I’m not sure about what kind of basking bulb comes with, but you’d want the floodlight and a CHE.

One potential issue I see with this is not being able to separate your floodlight and CHE, ideally you want your floodlight and your uv one end, then your CHE and ambient lighting in the middle, it’s possible hanging all this in the middle might work but I’m not 100% sure.
The other issue I’m seeing is not being able to adjust the height of your basking bulb whilst having your uv at an appropriate height, it could be you get it and the basking light needs to be lower to get the temp up directly below, but it’s too low for the uv if that makes sense. I’m thinking it’s potentially more practical to have them all separate.

I’m interested in what @Alex and the Redfoot makes of it, maybe he’ll suggest a way it can work, he’s definitely more up on the technical side of set ups than me, I’d hang fire buying that right now till he gets back to you🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Also the current temperatures in his viv don’t sound too hot but it’ll probably be good to check under that bulb with a temp gun as soon as you can, you’ll know for sure then if it’s possibly too warm👍

A 100w floodlight might be too high, 75w might be better, but your readings of 38 in the basking area sound ok so I’d check with the gun

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Honesty, I would be lost without you and @Alex and the Redfoot’s advice. 😊 Yoshi’s definitely causing a few sleepless nights at the moment, and you have no idea how much I appreciate the help.

He’s been eating little pockets of food, but he hasnt been as enthusiastic as he usually is. He’s been going to the toilet as normal, but in the vivarium spends most of the time in his cave. The temperature at the basking end is 38 degrees celsius, and the cooler end is around 27 degrees. I have been thinking that it’s maybe too hot and I need to reduce the wattage of the bulb? It’s 100w at the moment.

In terms of his table top, because it’s quite large the reptile store have suggested getting a thermal zoo pro, which hangs from the ceiling and contains two D3 tube bulbs, a basking spot and a Che bulb. It’s made by Arcadia. The only thing I’m thinking is problematic is the fact it will hang from the ceiling… I doubt my mum (who I’m living with temporarily while I save for a house) would be pleased with me drilling into the roof of her house 😂 it seems very impressive though…

Hi!

ThermalZooPro is cool looking and expensive, and one unit is not enough for a 8ft. enclosure. It can be used for the basking zone when fit with a basking lamp + CHE, one T5 UVB lamp and a LED bar (Arcadia Jungle Dawn). This will cover 2x3 ft. area (so 4x2 section is fully equipped). It can be hanged from any kind of frame, drilling ceiling is not necessary. Temperatures and UVB output can't be adjusted separately, you will need a dimmer for the basking lamp. And additional lights/heating for the rest of the enclosure (like the second ThermalZooPro but without a UVB lamp). Also, pre-installed set of heating/lightning is not optimal, so there will be some double-spending.

I would go with separate lamps and heaters. It will be cheaper, more flexible but less neat looking :)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi!

ThermalZooPro is cool looking and expensive, and one unit is not enough for a 8ft. enclosure. It can be used for the basking zone when fit with a basking lamp + CHE, one T5 UVB lamp and a LED bar (Arcadia Jungle Dawn). This will cover 2x3 ft. area (so 4x2 section is fully equipped). It can be hanged from any kind of frame, drilling ceiling is not necessary. Temperatures and UVB output can't be adjusted separately, you will need a dimmer for the basking lamp. And additional lights/heating for the rest of the enclosure (like the second ThermalZooPro but without a UVB lamp). Also, pre-installed set of heating/lightning is not optimal, so there will be some double-spending.

I would go with separate lamps and heaters. It will be cheaper, more flexible but less neat looking :)
Yeah you’ve confirmed what I thought about it, maybe I’m getting better at the technical stuff lol😂

CaggyQ

Donegal
Sooooooo sorry for my silence! I have been down sick with Covid 🙈 it delayed me completing my orders with the reptile specialists because I had a five day migraine. 😵‍💫 I was on the phone with them yesterday, and they are putting together my package for me ahead of delivery for Monday. They are also throwing in some prickly pear to help with his appetite too! 😉 🌵 the only thing I was wondering about was the suggestion of a compact fluorescent. Yoshi didn’t like these in the past because of his eyesight, but they did mention that certain levels can have that effect, especially if they’re too strong. They’ve left it completely up to me to choose, they were just giving me lots of alternative choices at different costs.

I was still worried about Yoshi so I asked my mum to take him to the vet, just to make sure he didn’t have anything more serious going on. He’s perfectly healthy, just apparently not a fan of all of this mayhem. He ate a lettuce leaf today and has been huffing ever since 😅