Refusing Grape Leaves

inkling13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
central NY
So I've read so many positive threads on grape leaves for tortoises but I'm curious if anyone else has had a tortoise that wants nothing to do with them.

My neighbor's backyard is overflowing with concord grape vines. He's 93 years old and just doesn't bother with them anymore so he's happy to let neighbors take as much as they want. The vines have even jumped onto our perimeter fence and quickly started spreading so I can even pick them in my own yard. The problem is my Red Foot Tortellini won't touch them. This is the end of her second summer with me and although I made a point to keep trying to offer them she just isn't interested. Occasionally I'll see a single bite out of a leaf but it seems like it's just to verify that "Ew, this isn't dandelion or lettuce its those icky leaves!"

Has anyone else experienced this? I know torts are all individuals and they'll all have their particular likes and dislikes but is there a way I could get my girl to be more enthusiastic? I feel like I'm trying to get a toddler to eat spinach, lol. Do you guys have better luck with different varieties than concord grape leaves? It's frustrating to see so much potential tort food go to waste, especially this time of year when every time I step outside the smell of ripe grapes reminds me.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
try the newest growth/leaf part of the vine. It will be a brighter green and softer to the touch.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I had the same problem for a couple of years, now everybody loves them. Some like them more then others and I think different leaf varieties can appeal to different tortoises.

Have your tried cutting them small and blending them in with foods (also cut small) that she does like? At first use only a little of the grape leaves and then start making it more, as she eats it. You could also take some of those leaves and dry them, then this winter use them as a top dressing or blended into her food.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My reds don't eat them . I have a 30lbs sulcata that will not eat them . But have part of it going into my slider pond and them guys will start eating at the vine.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mike taylor said:
But have part of it going into my slider pond and them guys will start eating at the vine.

Duh! Why have I never thought to try my RES groups on them. :rolleyes: Thanks for the idea!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Glad I could help with something.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
I have tried offering the tender new growth to no affect but I will try shredding and mixing. Its good to know my girl's not the only one being picky. My roommates have an adult male Red Eared Slider too. We give him some red lettuce on occasion but we never thought about the grape leaves. Hmmm... maybe Tortellini won't be the only one getting an experimental salad today :D Thanks everybody!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Nope mine wont touch them. Whole or chopped.
Everyone here mentioned feeding them and I wondered if I would have to plant a grapevine to get some leaves.
While standing outside, a friend SMELLED grapes one day and said that I must have some wild grapes growing somewhere. Wow, what an olfactory system! I thought they looked like grapevines climbing the trees, but didnt think they were the same as the domestic vines. I never saw any grapes or anything. She went searching our woods and came back carrying long stems with nice fresh leaves AND grapes! Who knew! Too bad the torts didnt appreciate the effort.

Ann from CT

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
Grape vine grows on my fence. I've never seen my Redfoot eat it. The Sulcatas will eat every leaf they can reach. My Aldabra spits it out if any gets in its food. Just my experience.
--Jeff

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I paid my great nephews 5 bucks each to pic as many as they could. They got me a huge leaf bag full. My leopard and Russian won't touch them.:( I layer them out to dry as I am. It waiting good tort food. They will get it over the winter hidden inside the good stuff:D

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
The only torts who like eating grape leaf is my aldabra. Others would not even nib it. Try giving the tender leaf as well, no success. Try mixing them to favorite food and ended making them either not eating or eating much less.