Rehoming our Russian

silvisgirl

I'm looking for advice. Our Russian tortoise is now 26 years old and has only known our back yard. We'll be selling our place soon and moving to cold country. What's the best way to ensure a good situation for this little guy? He has had free reign of the backyard and has never had a companion besides a cat whom he loved and would literally chase to be close to. Any tips for a successful rehoming would be appreciated.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi, @silvisgirl and welcome to the forum.

Couldn't you make an indoor setup for your tort? I live in Jordan where it snows during Winter - that cold! But Oli is inside, where it's relatively warm with a central heating system, and his light. Just an idea.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Put up a thread on our 'for sale' or 'adoption' section. We have a 100 post rule, but since you've been a member since 2015 the rule will be waived. Be wary of folks who only have one post and seem to have only joined since seeing your ad.

If you put up a local craigslist ad, you might think about asking the prospective buyers if you can go to their house and see the yard where they want to keep the tortoise. Don't place him in a home with other tortoises. He's not used to sharing his territory.

Good luck finding the right home.

silvisgirl

Thanks Yvonne. Yes, I'll be very careful about the rehoming process. I love this little guy and want the best possible situation for him. We moved here 4 years ago and he was on the property. There's a chance the next owner will welcome him like we did. But I want to have a rehoming option incase that isn't an option. Thanks again.