• Yes make it warmer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No the temp is fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shann1422

Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
My Hermann is usually pretty active- pushing things around enclosure. But both yesterday and today i felt like something is off. She’s spent 75% of her time under the basking bulb plus or minus her moving and adjusting a bit. I took her outside today and she was very active walking all around and exploring for about 2 hours, but as soon as she’s back in her enclosure she’s sleeping under the bulb. I’ve soaked her both days, she is eating, peeing and pooping. Basking temp 90-100F. I think her temp in her enclosure might be a bit low?-on warm side ambient temp is 74-75, cool side is 72-73. Going to get a warming pad that i will attach to back of enclosure near warm side to make it warmer. Humidity is high 50s, low 60s. Here is full images of her enclosure. Should i be concerned or am i overthinking and she is just relaxing enjoying the warmth

Attachments

• IMG_4923.jpeg
    IMG_4923.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4924.jpeg
    IMG_4924.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking temp is fine. The rest of the enclosure should range from 80 down to 75 and then all lights and heat off for night as long as temps don't go below 60.
Is that a mercury vapor bulb? If so, exchange it for a florescent tube uvb and a incandescent flood bulb for basking.
A lot of tortoise don't like to be inside once they have gotten a taste of outside.
Is there a reason she can't live outside all day every day during summer?

Shann1422

Boston, MA
Thanks for your response! It is a flood basking bulb. I do have a tube UVB in enclose 10.0. I’m going to make it warmer tomorrow and see if that helps. She can’t be outside where i currently live because it’s a condo complex and they don’t allow us to put up fencing or make any adjustments to yard. Should i not take her outside anymore?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for your response! It is a flood basking bulb. I do have a tube UVB in enclose 10.0. I’m going to make it warmer tomorrow and see if that helps. She can’t be outside where i currently live because it’s a condo complex and they don’t allow us to put up fencing or make any adjustments to yard. Should i not take her outside anymore?
Can you buy one of those blue, plastic kiddie pools they sell at like Walmart or Family Dollar store? Maybe with a bag of mulch or even just newspapers as substrate.
That'd make a decent. But not ideal way to put your tort outside with supervision in relative safety. And it can be stored on its side. Standing up. It wouldn't take up much space.

Shann1422

Boston, MA
Can you buy one of those blue, plastic kiddie pools they sell at like Walmart or Family Dollar store? Maybe with a bag of mulch or even just newspapers as substrate.
That'd make a decent. But not ideal way to put your tort outside with supervision in relative safety. And it can be stored on its side. Standing up. It wouldn't take up much space.
Yes i suppose i could. Should i not have her walk around my yard for an hour or two a day?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes i suppose i could. Should i not have her walk around my yard for an hour or two a day?
That's fine. Just keep an eye on her.
My tortoises are RED and BLACK. But in a few feet, they can dissappear into my green lawn. And it's pretty amazing.
Make sure that that area doesn't have any dogs or cats pooping there. Because your tortoise will 100% eat it and it isn't a good thing