Reoccurring sickness

Gennifer11

I would use the food grade DE in the outdoor areas (I am assuming they are grassy.) Once it becomes wet (the DE) it becomes ineffective so you want to sprinkle it all around when dry. It will NOT hurt the tort and I think it is NUTS they won't treat the pinworms since YOU can get them just by holding the tort/cleaning his things, so can your pets if they eat fecal matter, kids if they handle the tort, etc.

Again - if it were ME I would treat the pinworm issue right now. Sprinkle food grade DE over everything like it's going out of style. Clean his areas with bleach and then a ACV rinse. Sprinkle his food with the food grade DE and watch him to see if he start perking up in a week or so. Due to their lifestyle (pinworms) you will need to do this for 90 days. No matter what - the food grade DE cannot HURT. One bit.

Dawn, are you still an avid user of DE?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I myself gave up the DE here because it's always so wet outside and DE must remain dry.
I also, for a while gave my tortoises small dosages mixed in with food (Mazuri) as a preventative. Once every 3 months. It was a tip a breeder gave me.
I can't say for a fact that it worked, but I have not had a recurring case of worms, either!
At the very least....DE does no harm.

Gennifer11

Awesome. On a side note, one of my healthy nut friends uses DE as a cleanser and she mixes it with water. She is adamant that it's great for internal parasites and getting the gunk out. So how does it work once it enters the body and makes contact with the liquids??

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
DE is the skeletons of diatoms. They have rough edges scraping open and desiccating the parasites.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Dawn, are you still an avid user of DE?
I sure am!! I use it every three months on the yard, without fail. Spot treating in between times if needed. My guy is heathy as a (cranky) horse and I've had no issues whatsoever!

2.jpg