Repti Bark?

GeorgiaK

Location (City and/or State)
England, UK
Hey, I was just wondering what people's options were on repti bark as substrate, I know everyone has different opinions some will like it some won't but I'm debating whether to try it, I've heard it's decent?
Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Repti bark is orchid bark repackaged and then triple the price. Find a local source for fine grade orchid bark, aka fir bark. Do people in England grow orchids in a hot house? They are getting their orchid bark in bulk from somewhere.

Orchid bark is the best substrate for most applications. What species and what size tortoise are we talking about?

GeorgiaK

England, UK
What so repti and orchid are the same thing? He's a horsefield tortoise, 11 years old but I will also be getting another baby horsefield soon so need something that suits them both (in different enclosures don't worry:D)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The product sold as "Reptibark" is made from ground up fir bark. The only difference between this and "orchid" bark is the orchid bark is a cleaner product. It's the same wood - fir. Since orchids are sensitive plants, the medium you grow them in has to be pure (no pesticides, etc.) If I could get Reptibark in large bags at a reasonable price, I would not hesitate to use it for my tortoises.

GeorgiaK

England, UK
Oh okay, it always confuses me as a lot of them look similar but are different costs ect. The cheapest repti bark I've found is £22 for a 26 litre bag but I'll have a look around for orchid bark, thanks for your replys probably will save me lots of money:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What so repti and orchid are the same thing? He's a horsefield tortoise, 11 years old but I will also be getting another baby horsefield soon so need something that suits them both (in different enclosures don't worry:D)
I prefer to use coco coir for baby Testudo, and orchid bark for adults like your 11 year old. Coco coir is also called Eco-Earth, and Bed-a-Beast. I also prefer to buy this in large bulk blocks from a garden center instead of paying pet store premiums.