Repti cooler for a tortoise table

newdeserttortowner

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
I have a well insulated tortoise table I throw an ice pack in and the temperature stays in 80-85 even on the hottest days. I saw this repti cooler made for some reptiles. I'm thinking this might not be a good idea due to uri but what do you think?Screenshot_20230903_204120_Chrome.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a similar device for my Jackson's Chameleons. Because they require a 20°or more night time drop in temperature. Heating off. Cool mist on with fan.
But I'd be concerned about it causing respiratory issues with tortoises. Tortoises shouldn't be breathing in water vapor.

newdeserttortowner

Las Vegas
I have a similar device for my Jackson's Chameleons. Because they require a 20°or more night time drop in temperature. Heating off. Cool mist on with fan.
But I'd be concerned about it causing respiratory issues with tortoises. Tortoises shouldn't be breathing in water vapor.
Yeah, not worth it. I thought about it. I will use the temperature thermometer with shut off for the wintertime to maintain heat in case it drops but continue to use my ice pack for those hot days. :)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I have a well insulated hide outside and when I know it’s going to be in the hundreds I toss a handful of ice cubes in the morning and it rarely gets above 80- 85. At least gives him an option to seek out a cool area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a well insulated tortoise table...
Can we see a picture? This sentence doesn't make sense to me. Tortoise tables have an open top. What is the point of insulating the walls of a table when there is an open top?

What species are we talking about, and what size tortoise? Size, not age.

Why is the table overheating? That is what I would assess and deal with. I have to use much lower wattage bulbs in summer time in my reptile room, but in my house, room temp stays around 75 in summer and as low as 65 in winter. The thermostats and heating elements take care of that difference. So where is this table located that it is getting too hot?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can we see a picture? This sentence doesn't make sense to me. Tortoise tables have an open top. What is the point of insulating the walls of a table when there is an open top?

What species are we talking about, and what size tortoise? Size, not age.

Why is the table overheating? That is what I would assess and deal with. I have to use much lower wattage bulbs in summer time in my reptile room, but in my house, room temp stays around 75 in summer and as low as 65 in winter. The thermostats and heating elements take care of that difference. So where is this table located that it is getting too hot?
The thread was posted under Noth American Tortoises (genus Gopherus) so one would assume it involves a Desert Tortoise. However, we all know what "assuming" can do (LOL).