Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
RE: Rescued Sulcata

Nice to see he/she is doing good, concerning the bubbles have you tried keeping him/her a little bit warmer and see if that helps?

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

dmmj said:
Nice to see he/she is doing good, concerning the bubbles have you tried keeping him/her a little bit warmer and see if that helps?

I did that a few days after I got him. When he is indoors, he spends most of his time in his humid hide, which is of course warmer than the warm side of his enclosure too.

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque

I love his little frown-y face!
So happy he's getting proper attention.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

Mr. Cricket is going to be getting a bigger, better outdoor enclosure! We bought all the supplies for his new enclosure, and the wood for Sherman's new enclosure. Sherman is going into a dog kennel enclosure like he is in currently with the CDTs, but Cricket's will be cinder block, about 5' x 5', or 6' x 6'... whichever way I can set it up properly.

Also bought more plants.... petunias, impatients, geramiums, and ice plants to mix and match in all 3 enclosures. I plan on starting/finishing both enclosures today, so will definately post pictures when I am done!

I bought new water dishes as well!
For safety reasons, Cricket will still not have a water dish, as he still flips over, and can not right himself again on his own. I fear that would happen and he would drown in it.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona

keep up the good work and the great pics! What a great little tort and tort story!

teri

S

Scooter

Can't wait too see the pictures of the new enclosures!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

Okay, here is Cricket's almost finished new outdoor enclosure! I need to put a tile in for his eating "plate", and get temporary bricks to hold on the screen. I will hopefully eventually be getting a wooden frame for the screen, as right now it seems like it will be a pain in the butt to work with, move, etc. all of the time.-- I also had to hammer in "pillar-like" wooden spikes into the dirt to help keep the screen up all of the time.

He has 4 different hides: 2 pot hides, 1 plastic plant container hide in one corner (he currently has hides in the corners, as he use to use the corners to flip over, but not when there was a hide in it), and another hide (upsidedown cardboard tray with a hole cut in it) in another corner.

He has different flowers/plants in there, and a large piece of bark he likes to climb on. The area he has to romp around is: 7'6" x 3'9". He should be able to go in his new enclosure tomorrow!

I need to buy some sod for Sherman's enclosure, then I will be getting his done too!

CricketNewEnclosure001.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure002.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure005.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure009.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure010.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure011.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure012.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure013.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure007.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure003.jpg

Also, here are some pictures of him from the other day.

CricketNewEnclosure016.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure017.jpg

CricketNewEnclosure022.jpg

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

... Okay, well, I am not sure about everybody else, but Cricket seems to be enjoying his new home!

He eats his meal on one side, walks around, then sometimes stops to trample his flowers, walks around some more, and then finally makes it to his hide on the other side where he spends the majority of the rest of his time. Haha!

He is doing very well all around too. *Knock on wood* I have not seen any bubbles (but he's still on the medication just to make sure), he is eating, drinking, and growing!

He, unlike any other tortoise I have, can become very temperamental as well. If he doesn't want me to take him out of his indoor enclosure, he will squirm like a little worm and try to run away (he's very fast!). Then I put him outside in his enclosure, and he's like "Oh, that's only where you were taking me?". My other torts only rarely make the "hissing" noise. This little guy has a full blown fit. However, he can also be very sweet and friendly at times too.

He is so full of personality. I love the way he cocks his little head to look up at you. :p

Also, *knock on wood*, ever since he has been in his new enclosure, I have not found him flipped over once!

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.

Cricket is looking BETTER and BETTER with each update! Truly inspirational.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey

I just read this thread and just really enjoyed reading all about Cricket! I love his new enclosure. I love that he went on vacation with you. I will definitely continue to follow this thread.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio

I love Cricket!!!! Great new enclosure too!

S

Scooter

Very glad to hear he is doing so well! Keep up the great work! :D

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest

Wonderful story~ Cricket is so captivating! And, what a great new enclosure for him. Me and my torty family are all 'rootin' for his continued improvement!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL

Aww no hibiscus? I guess he wasn't with Katie in Florida long enough to appreciate hibiscus flowers ;)
Cute picture, nonetheless!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California

I almost forgot about this thread! I remember when Katie originally found that terrible CL ad, and lately started seriously wondering how Cricket's been doing... It's nice to find this thread and see how he's developed and grown since Katie first rescued him. It's so wonderful to see this turning into a real happy ending (knock on wood)!

So, it's been a while since the last update... How's he doing these days?? :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks for remembering this thread, I hadn't read it and to read it all at one time was like reading a story and it's captivating...I am wondering how little Cricket is doing now...How about an update?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal

I sent a PM a couple weeks back and she was going to post an update within the next day or so...but I know she's really caught up in shelter rescues right now...be patient...I know we'll get an update soon!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California

Yikes!! Sorry, I know it's been a long time since there has been a Cricket update! Thank you Dean for the PM a while back and sorry I didn't post soon after that. Also thank you to Maggie for her PM, as I still would not have stopped and taken the time to post! Oy!

Yes, I have been super busy with the rescue, trying to raise funds for a dog's expensive training, and going crazy trying to find her a foster/adopter for after she is done with training, etc. I was out of town for the pass 3 days (trying to regain my sanity!), so am now back to the normal routine and craziness (what a joy).

Now in regards to Cricket, he is doing very well. Like I had mentioned to Dean in my PM a few weeks back, I had stopped his nose drops about 1-2 months ago, as I did not notice any bubbles for awhile; however, they started back up after I stopped them, so I started them back up again. He is still on them, just as a precautionary, but I will probably stop them again soon to see where we stand. If they come back after that, I think it's time to go back to the vet (our new, GOOD vet).

He is now eating 100% on his own. I tear up and cut up his lettuce pieces for him and make a pile on his tile in his outdoor enclosure, and he usually eats it all. I also catch him eating grass sometimes and other plants. He is back and forth on his Mazuri... sometimes he loves it, other times he just tramples in and makes a mess!

He still has his "big tortoise" personality, and will sometimes run away quickly when I am trying to pick him up from his indoor enclosure to take him outside. Silly little guy!

Growth wise, he is growing fairly slowly. The shell growth is smooth, but Sherman (one of my other Sullies) is starting to grow like a weed, though Cricket is taking his time.

They (all my tortoises) have not been able to get out every single day like before, due to the weather change, but hopefully they can go outside tomorrow and I can get some new pictures of him.

Oh! And he has FINALLY decided to upgrade (well, sometimes) to his plant pot hides instead of using his cardboard box hide ALL the time (in his outdoor enclosure). The first time he did it I started freaking out, as I could not find him where he usually was when I go out to get him. :p

I do feel bad I have not been able to spend as much time as I use to with them, but they are all still doing very well. Once I have time (no big rush since it's almost Winter time anyways, and the landscape will be ruined by the rain!) I am going do some enclosure upgrades, especially get Keita into his new/bigger enclosure.... though he really LOVES his 3 foot tunnel he's dug.

Status
Not open for further replies.