Rescued Three Toed- Health Issues?

gia474

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello! I rescued another Three Toed box turtle a few days ago who is around one year old. She(?) looks like she is a bit underweight and has slightly swollen eyes to me. I’m thinking her diet was definitely lacking in some areas. All I know about her past from the previous owners is she was an impulse purchase as a hatchling from a local reptile store, they already had too many other kinds of pets and no longer were able to provide care so were going to give her to some research center or something until I stepped in and offered to take her. She is very sweet and comfortable being handled, so far eating fairly well for me (will eat worms, super worms, Mazuri pellets, and first day had some of my “mash” which consists of a good mix of things including fruits and veggies). I would just like opinions on what people think is potentially going on with her. Obviously from here on out she will receive proper care now with correct temps, light, humidity and diet but I’m just wondering if there’s anything I need to focus on? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7536.jpeg
    IMG_7536.jpeg
    964.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7541.jpeg
    IMG_7541.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7542.jpeg
    IMG_7542.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7544.jpeg
    IMG_7544.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

gia474

Massachusetts
Hello! I rescued another Three Toed box turtle a few days ago who is around one year old. She(?) looks like she is a bit underweight and has slightly swollen eyes to me. I’m thinking her diet was definitely lacking in some areas. All I know about her past from the previous owners is she was an impulse purchase as a hatchling from a local reptile store, they already had too many other kinds of pets and no longer were able to provide care so were going to give her to some research center or something until I stepped in and offered to take her. She is very sweet and comfortable being handled, so far eating fairly well for me (will eat worms, super worms, Mazuri pellets, and first day had some of my “mash” which consists of a good mix of things including fruits and veggies). I would just like opinions on what people think is potentially going on with her. Obviously from here on out she will receive proper care now with correct temps, light, humidity and diet but I’m just wondering if there’s anything I need to focus on? Thanks!
Few more closer up / brighter pics.. her beak also looks a teeny tiny bit long to me? But not sure if I’m just paranoid? Im primarily comparing her to my other one year old who looks much more healthy imo.

Attachments

• IMG_7545.jpeg
    IMG_7545.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7546.jpeg
    IMG_7546.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I know nothing about box turtles, but she looks a lovely little creature - thank you so much on her behalf for rescuing her - I am sure she will have a very happy life with you.
Angie

gia474

Massachusetts
I know nothing about box turtles, but she looks a lovely little creature - thank you so much on her behalf for rescuing her - I am sure she will have a very happy life with you.
Angie
Aww thank you!! I sure hope so ☺️ ..she’s so sweet and we are thrilled to have her, just want to be sure I’m not overlooking a bigger health issue!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can see her in real time, while we only see pictures. As such, I don't see anything wrong with the turtle. Her eyes are bright (don't seem swollen to me), her beak and claws don't seem to be overgrown, she's bright and alert. She looks pretty darned good to me.

gia474

Massachusetts
Ok! Thank you for the reassurance! I know each turtle is different, just wanted to be sure she seemed alright.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Cute turtle