Respiratory infection on 9month greek tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
She is more active? That's great!

This coiled bulb doesn't "shoot" far enough to make meaningful UVB level near the food dish. Even worse - it's hard to predict what UV level will be and where (very much dependent on reflector, how it's placed - vertical or horizontal) and due to specifics of the lamp a couple of centimeters may change UVI (UV index) from 2 (too low) to 6-8 (dangerously high). More or less safe distance is 15-20 centimeters over the shell, but UV index will be between "low" and "almost too low". 15 minutes of sunbathing daily will be better (around 10-11AM or 3-4PM, on the balcony or by the open window, with shade and supervision).

You've been taking her for a walk in the park, do you still do that?
Oh and I don't have balcony. And even though out windows are supposed to face south-east we don't get much sun inside.

I went to the park 3 times only since last time I shared her first time.

I try to do it if I have time but also I am scared the tortoise will be attacked by birds.
Have you heard about any instance of attacks of baby tortoises by magpies?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh and I don't have balcony. And even though out windows are supposed to face south-east we don't get much sun inside.

I went to the park 3 times only since last time I shared her first time.

I try to do it if I have time but also I am scared the tortoise will be attacked by birds.
Have you heard about any instance of attacks of baby tortoises by magpies?
Ravens are serious danger for tortoises. Not 100% sure about crows and magpies but they are mean birds and likely will try to hunt little tort. There are portable run pens for small animals (like a camping tent but out of mesh) - they are 6x3 feet and fit in the backpack when folded. They won't prevent tortoise from escaping, but at least will cover her from predators and provide some shade. Like this one: https://cutepetcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/best-bearded-dragon-playpen-outside.png

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Are you able to get yours hands on a t5 uv bulb instead of the coil where you are? The coil bulbs aren’t any good

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Unfortunately the rainy season started so for the next month or so there might not be much sun that's why I got this bulb urgently
It's a UVB 150 desert 13W
I can place it on top of the food
Ok, I understood. If you won't be able to find Arcadia ProT5 for the sane price on Amazon in UK/EU, you can resort to Repti Zoo T5 Desert tube (I've seen them on Coupang and another online store in Seoul). By the tests, Repti Zoo lamps are worse than ZooMed Reptisun and Arcadia but at least they aren't harmful. Coil bulb is a no-go, unfortunately.

Just in case, even on cloudy days there is some UV from the sun. Unless it's raining, you can take your tortoise outside.

COmtnLady

Colorado
I think you should focus on perfecting your indoor enclosure. Going to a public park you have no idea what has been sprayed around to kill weeds or insects, all of which is bad for your tortoise. And the predator birds could swoop past you no matter how vigilant you try to be. Most people who take their torts outside have their own piece of land that they know to be free of pesticides and insecticides.

South Korea
Back from the vet.
I got another week of medicine.
It seems the tortoise lost some weight (I'm not so surprised as she is not eating as much as before)
But except that she seems to be doing well.
Wake up in the morning eats a little and go back to sleep. Sometimes going back for more food but usually from afternoon it is sleep until the day after. Except if I wake her up, then she eats more

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Back from the vet.
I got another week of medicine.
It seems the tortoise lost some weight (I'm not so surprised as she is not eating as much as before)
But except that she seems to be doing well.
Wake up in the morning eats a little and go back to sleep. Sometimes going back for more food but usually from afternoon it is sleep until the day after. Except if I wake her up, then she eats more
Hello!
Thank you for the update! I hope she is getting well.

Any symptoms gone or any new?

Did you manage to find T5 UVB lamp?

What temperatures are now in the enclosure?

South Korea
Hello!
Thank you for the update! I hope she is getting well.

Any symptoms gone or any new?

Did you manage to find T5 UVB lamp?

What temperatures are now in the enclosure?
I think she can breath better now. Yesterday I don't remember seeing her breathing with her mouth.

For the UV I'm sorry but I am waiting for the refund of the one I will return.

When I went to the vet last week it was cloudy but I still let her walk outside while waiting for about 30min.
While she is eating I sometimes use the coil lamp on top of her so she can get some UVB. I thought a little is better than none.

Temperature of the room is 28/29
I used the emitter at night when she was more sick but the temperature goes to 34 degrees which I thought might be bit high. So I stopped using it for now as she seems better.
She doesn't bask I think. Sometimes she eats goes next to the light for 1/2min goes back to eat and go home.

The vet said he will do another X-ray next week. To see if the gas got better.
I will also try to make her eat more so she doesn't lose more weight

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I think she can breath better now. Yesterday I don't remember seeing her breathing with her mouth.

For the UV I'm sorry but I am waiting for the refund of the one I will return.

When I went to the vet last week it was cloudy but I still let her walk outside while waiting for about 30min.
While she is eating I sometimes use the coil lamp on top of her so she can get some UVB. I thought a little is better than none.

Temperature of the room is 28/29
I used the emitter at night when she was more sick but the temperature goes to 34 degrees which I thought might be bit high. So I stopped using it for now as she seems better.
She doesn't bask I think. Sometimes she eats goes next to the light for 1/2min goes back to eat and go home.

The vet said he will do another X-ray next week. To see if the gas got better.
I will also try to make her eat more so she doesn't lose more weight
Good to know, she's improving.

I understand about UV lamp, no worries.
Walking outside on cloudy weather is fine - UV index is lower, but usually still high enough. Check your weather forecast and hourly UV index there to find out the best walking hours (UV index 4-5 is fine).

You've done right with CHE, 34C is too hot. But 28-30C are good for a sick tortoise. If you have AC, you can cool down the room to 25-26C and see if she will be more active.

South Korea
So I read that coil lamp are bad for tortoise eyes and because they only target a small aera.

So now my tortoise is buried and ready to sleep.
Is it good if I put UV on her now while her head is buried and she doesn't move?

I dont know if the UV should target their body or shell is enough.

It's like that now. I'm thinking leaving like that for about 1 or 2 hours. (It's about 20cm from the turtle)

Attachments

• 20240710_174116.jpg
    20240710_174116.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
So I read that coil lamp are bad for tortoise eyes and because they only target a small aera.

So now my tortoise is buried and ready to sleep.
Is it good if I put UV on her now while her head is buried and she doesn't move?

I dont know if the UV should target their body or shell is enough.

It's like that now. I'm thinking leaving like that for about 1 or 2 hours. (It's about 20cm from the turtle)
They absorb UV through their skin, mostly the areas aren't covered with hard scales - e.g. neck. Lightning their shell with UV won't help to synthesize D3 at all, but may damage new keratin growth (if UV is too strong and shell is exposed for a long time).

South Korea
They absorb UV through their skin, mostly the areas aren't covered with hard scales - e.g. neck. Lightning their shell with UV won't help to synthesize D3 at all, but may damage new keratin growth (if UV is too strong and shell is exposed for a long time).
Oh ok.
I was wondering too.

Good to know.
I will be careful to only use it when she is exposed.

South Korea
Hello,
Today my tortoise looks healthy. It seems she is basking a lot which she hasn't done for a long time. And keep walking around the enclosure even climbing her hide.

I will go again to the vet tonight to do a X-ray again and check if her gaz bag decreased. But I feel very happy to see her active.

I bought some pumpkin leaves but it seems she doesn't like it ilbecause of the spiky leaves I think. So I am mashing everything with some lettuce she likes hoping she will eat it because I read it has a lot of good stuffs in it.
(Picture of her climbing her hide, because it was so cute)

Attachments

• PenguinCCTV_406A8ECAE974_20240715085731588.jpg
    PenguinCCTV_406A8ECAE974_20240715085731588.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello,
Today my tortoise looks healthy. It seems she is basking a lot which she hasn't done for a long time. And keep walking around the enclosure even climbing her hide.

I will go again to the vet tonight to do a X-ray again and check if her gaz bag decreased. But I feel very happy to see her active.

I bought some pumpkin leaves but it seems she doesn't like it ilbecause of the spiky leaves I think. So I am mashing everything with some lettuce she likes hoping she will eat it because I read it has a lot of good stuffs in it.
(Picture of her climbing her hide, because it was so cute)
I'm happy to hear she is getting better! Thank you for the picture, she is really cute and looks adventurous :)

Pumpkin and squash leaves and flowers can be fed in moderation, so it worth trying. They usually don't like unfamiliar foods, be patient :)

Keep us updated on vet visit and such!

South Korea
Hello,
So...
The vet said the turtle gained weight, and X-ray showed the gas was better.

He asked me compared to before she was sick, how healthy is she now (percentage)
I randomly said 70%
I think she looks okay I am not sure if she still sleeps a lot, not basking much and not sure she is eating as much.

So he wanted to give me again medicine ls until she is 100%.
But I asked to stop giving medicines.

My thought process was I am not sure if she is really 70% or more. And it takes me about 15min handling her to try giving her the medicine which I think stress her too much and my impact the percentage too. Like if I stress her a lot I imagine she will hide more...

So what I want to do for now is monitoring her weight to check that she is eating well. And reduce the handling (just 1 or 2 bath a day or nebulizer making sure that she poops.

The doctor said if I see her health decreasing I should go back as soon as possible.
So let's see.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello,
So...
The vet said the turtle gained weight, and X-ray showed the gas was better.

He asked me compared to before she was sick, how healthy is she now (percentage)
I randomly said 70%
I think she looks okay I am not sure if she still sleeps a lot, not basking much and not sure she is eating as much.

So he wanted to give me again medicine ls until she is 100%.
But I asked to stop giving medicines.

My thought process was I am not sure if she is really 70% or more. And it takes me about 15min handling her to try giving her the medicine which I think stress her too much and my impact the percentage too. Like if I stress her a lot I imagine she will hide more...

So what I want to do for now is monitoring her weight to check that she is eating well. And reduce the handling (just 1 or 2 bath a day or nebulizer making sure that she poops.

The doctor said if I see her health decreasing I should go back as soon as possible.
So let's see.
Thank you for the update!
Perhaps, this is the right course of action now. When weighting, try to do it every day at the same time and routine: always after soaking and before eating, for example. This will make weightings more accurate. I weigh Besha weekly and see if her montly average weight is increasing. Usually she gains a bit every week, but sometimes loses a bit. Montly average shows steady growth - and that's what you should see as well.

Can you get some tortoise pellets for her? I guess Hikari Mulberrific should be available. My picky tort ate them from the first try - so, this can work for yours too.

South Korea
Thank you for the update!
Perhaps, this is the right course of action now. When weighting, try to do it every day at the same time and routine: always after soaking and before eating, for example. This will make weightings more accurate. I weigh Besha weekly and see if her montly average weight is increasing. Usually she gains a bit every week, but sometimes loses a bit. Montly average shows steady growth - and that's what you should see as well.

Can you get some tortoise pellets for her? I guess Hikari Mulberrific should be available. My picky tort ate them from the first try - so, this can work for yours too.
I have 2 pellets I use Alternatively.
The mazuri and I think the other one is dandelion pellets (it was the shop owner gave them to me when I bought the tortoise. But he put in a plastic bag so I dont have the ref)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240716_192914_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240716_192914_Chrome.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have 2 pellets I use Alternatively.
The mazuri and I think the other one is dandelion pellets (it was the shop owner gave them to me when I bought the tortoise. But he put in a plastic bag so I dont have the ref)
Oh, great! Both are fine, no need to get the third ones :)