Rest in Peace Chevy Sullivan Schwarz 10/23/10- 11/26/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Chevy was so lucky to have you for a tort mom, even if it was a short time. No words can really say how sad we all feel. I think most of us have gone through the same thing one time or another. We love you and are all here for you. Chevy will always be a part of the wonderful person you are. Hugs.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I'm so sorry for your loss. Don't give up on getting another one.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm sorry to hear that Chevy passed Katerina :( Just remember that everything in life is a learning experience, but it's what you do with what you've learned that matters most.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gone but not forgotten, Katerina! Its been a pleasure hearing about Chevy here on the forum and getting to know you. Please accept my most sincere condolences.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
I'm so sorry. Its amazing how quickly a pet can take an enormous part of our heart and their passing take so much of us with them. Your passion for life and tortoises is obvious and I know you'll grow from this and be all the better for it, all these trials in life make us stronger.

Take as much time as you think you need. My parents replaced my first Boxie with another when it was lost, but I never took to the replacement and have guilt now, as I think that led in large part to the second boxie's failure to adjust. It was many years until I was ready to try again. Hopefully you'll heal quicker than I did, but however long it takes, just make sure its on your terms.

Chin up and smile, you'll get through this.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I am so sorry to hear about little Chevy. I do think, unfortunately, that his passing is a good lesson for you in regards to proper tortoise ownership. I am heartbroken that he has passed away, as I DO think a vet could have helped him, but yet, he was never allowed to see one. He deserved to see a vet, and not being able to do so was NOT his decision or in his control, but his owner's.

I do believe that kids can "have" pets, but ONLY if the parents are going to be financially and ultimately responsible for them. I know you loved Chevy, but your parents set limitations on how much to spend on him (the $80 bulb for example), they would not drive you to the vet, and I am sorry to say, but I doubt they would have paid a $100-$200 vet bill to determine what was wrong with Chevy, if need be.

I know you eventually want to get another tortoise, but maybe wait until you are a little older and have your own money to use in situations like these, since your parents are not as willing to help out. Why don't you start saving up now, and when you have $400-$500, go get another tortoise. That way you have enough money to properly care for one and purchase anything he/she may need once you get another and this type of situation will not happen again.

Also, a tip for everybody... If you call a vet and it is an emergency, but they tell you you need an appointment to be seen.... if you have no other vet options, take the animal down to their facility and tell them you called but it is an emergency and the animal will die if you wait any longer. If you need to, make a big scene about it. A lot of vets take emergencies over their "scheduled appointments", and there is NO reason they should not take you in before they close for the day if your animal is suffering and dying in your hands.

I agree with Maggie. While I am very sorry for your loss, I am a little upset that more was not done... or that it wasn't taken as seriously as it should have been. RIP little Chevy.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
APBT_Fanatic said:
I am so sorry to hear about little Chevy. I do think, unfortunately, that his passing is a good lesson for you in regards to proper tortoise ownership. I am heartbroken that he has passed away, as I DO think a vet could have helped him, but yet, he was never allowed to see one. He deserved to see a vet, and not being able to do so was NOT his decision or in his control, but his owner's.

I do believe that kids can "have" pets, but ONLY if the parents are going to be financially and ultimately responsible for them. I know you loved Chevy, but your parents set limitations on how much to spend on him (the $80 bulb for example), they would not drive you to the vet, and I am sorry to say, but I doubt they would have paid a $100-$200 vet bill to determine what was wrong with Chevy, if need be.

I know you eventually want to get another tortoise, but maybe wait until you are a little older and have your own money to use in situations like these, since your parents are not as willing to help out. Why don't you start saving up now, and when you have $400-$500, go get another tortoise. That way you have enough money to properly care for one and purchase anything he/she may need once you get another and this type of situation will not happen again.

Also, a tip for everybody... If you call a vet and it is an emergency, but they tell you you need an appointment to be seen.... if you have no other vet options, take the animal down to their facility and tell them you called but it is an emergency and the animal will die if you wait any longer. If you need to, make a big scene about it. A lot of vets take emergencies over their "scheduled appointments", and there is NO reason they should not take you in before they close for the day if your animal is suffering and dying in your hands.

I agree with Maggie. While I am very sorry for your loss, I am a little upset that more was not done... or that it wasn't taken as seriously as it should have been. RIP little Chevy.

Very well said---Annie

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
APBT_Fanatic said:

Really? I feel like this is kinda inappropriate here. There are other threads that have said this same thing and where this same thing could has been said. She's aware of the situation and I'm certain is being haunted by these thoughts already. All the "what ifs" and other self-doubt about whether or not she could have done more in her situation. There's no reason to make her feel worse, especially after her loss.

I agree in part with the points you made, but I just feel that this was a very calloused place to put it. Katerina needs support right now and instead you've pointed out why she's shouldn't have a pet.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
PeanutbuttER said:
APBT_Fanatic said:

Really? I feel like this is kinda inappropriate here. There are other threads that have said this same thing and where this same thing could has been said. She's aware of the situation and there's no reason to make her feel worse, especially after her loss.

I agree in part with the points you made, but I just feel that this was a very calloused place to put it. Katerina needs support right now and instead you've pointed out why she's shouldn't have a pet.

I gave her suggestions to make her next tortoise owning experience more successful. I was not rude (like a few other people have been), but am trying to help so this situaion does not happen again. Do you think it is okay for people to get pets, wihout having proper financial support to take care of them? Do you think it's okay for suffering/dying animals not to be taken to the vet?

I am sure there are many other threads like this, but I was following this one and able to respond to this one with advice, so I did.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Let's not have the discussion stray to far from the topic here, which is Katerina's loss of Chevy. There are other threads already where that particular avenue of discussion can take place.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
Sorry to hear this...Katerina,how do your folks feel about you getting another tortoise?

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I am so sorry for your loss : ( I enjoyed sharing in your adventures with Chevy and hope you will join us again. I want you to remember that you gave him the best you could with lots of love and attention & he was lucky to have you as his tort momma. Lots of hugs from me & Betty.

franeich

5 Year Member
Lets not be rude and lecture a young girl on a thread set up to remember her lost friend.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
I love the internet, people get to say things to people that they wouldnt say if they were standing in that persons livingroom.
Sorry again for your loss Marty. Pay no mind....we all live life with limitations and those who are able to provide even a little bit better than others will tend to speak from that high horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.