RF hides a lot - diet?

tortmomma417

Location (City and/or State)
Kyle, Tx
Sorry i've been posting a lot - I'm a new RF mom so I have a lot of questions!

First, my RF, Monty, has been adjusting slowly, so i've been letting him have his space. He spends about an hour max out of his hide a day. I've had him for about a week and i've only forced him to soak twice so I don't stress him but I do spray his shell twice a day. He eats a bit - loves strawberries and collard greens and he sits under his lamp for a bit and goes back in his hide. He doesn't drink, doesn't get in his little shallow pond. Is it normal for him to hide so much? He's about 5 1/2 - 6 inches if that helps with age/behavior.

Second, I did purchase him from petco, which isn't something I usually do but was in there for other reasons and couldn't pass him up. I just wanted to get him out of there. I noticed they were feeding him A LOT of cucumbers daily, which I read was a laxative to them. I noticed soft feces in his cage at the store. He still hasn't defecated since he's been with me (again, I've had him for a week!). Could he be constipated from being cut off from all those cucumbers they were feeding him? I was thinking about giving him just a little bit daily and weening him off...

I might be overreacting about a lot but I just want to make sure Monty is doing ok and enjoying his new home! I would hate for him to be miserable and me not know it. :(

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
He's probably still adjusting to his new environment. Try turning off the basking light for a few hours to see if he's more active when it's not as bright, but you will need to make sure temps are still up at 80/86f. If it's too hot under the basking light he will hide away to cool off.
You want an ambient temp of 78/86f with no bright hot basking spot and humidity around 80%.
Because your tort is new to you and you don't know his history I would soak every day for a wk to be sure he's hydrated, then back off to twice a wk at that size, this will also address any chance of constipation.(although I doubt he is constipated).
Feed weeds/greens and mushrooms for a few days, maybe a week. Then when he's eating again introduce back into the diet fruit a couple times a week. Also protein once a week at the most.

tortmomma417

Kyle, Tx
He's probably still adjusting to his new environment. Try turning off the basking light for a few hours to see if he's more active when it's not as bright, but you will need to make sure temps are still up at 80/86f. If it's too hot under the basking light he will hide away to cool off.
You want an ambient temp of 78/86f with no bright hot basking spot and humidity around 80%.
Because your tort is new to you and you don't know his history I would soak every day for a wk to be sure he's hydrated, then back off to twice a wk at that size, this will also address any chance of constipation.(although I doubt he is constipated).
Feed weeds/greens and mushrooms for a few days, maybe a week. Then when he's eating again introduce back into the diet fruit a couple times a week. Also protein once a week at the most.
Thanks! My heat source actually doesn't have any light coming from it so I can use it all day and night, if need be. I do however have a bright UVB light I use during the day. But I thought the UVB was necessary for their health? Suggestions?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks! My heat source actually doesn't have any light coming from it so I can use it all day and night, if need be. I do however have a bright UVB light I use during the day. But I thought the UVB was necessary for their health? Suggestions?
Use your no light bulb 24/7 on a thermostat for the heat source, and use a fluorescent tube light over your feeding area right at one end of the enclosure. So it's darker in the sleeping area. From what you are saying I'm imagining you have an mvb bulb for UVB.
Can I see a photo of your enclosure please, before you alter anything.

tortmomma417

Kyle, Tx
Use your no light bulb 24/7 on a thermostat for the heat source, and use a fluorescent tube light over your feeding area right at one end of the enclosure. So it's darker in the sleeping area. From what you are saying I'm imagining you have an mvb bulb for UVB.
Can I see a photo of your enclosure please, before you alter anything.
I am using the wet towels to keep in humidity until I can build a covering on thursday.. where the foil is is only there when i don't have the uvb light on (to help keep in humidity as well). I also was going to get the lamp stands on thursday.

Attachments

• IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1474.jpg
    IMG_1474.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That's what i though by looking at the two fixtures you have. Them compact cool uvb bulbs are bad for your tort

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The CHE (the one that gives off no light) is perfect but it should be run on a reptile thermostat set around 85

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Ditch your water bowl and use something with lower edges so it's easier for your tort to get in and out of. The bottom of there shells don't flex so them bowls don't work well and can cause them to flip over. A simple $1 terra cotta plant saucer works perfect

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Having a consistent temp and humidity level for your tort is important. You don't want them with a bunch of spikes and drops.

Get a reptile thermostat for your Che

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493850057.652270.jpg

And get a basic plug in timer from a hardware store for your lights

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1493850111.665571.jpgthen you just have to worry about a lid to control the humidity levels.

tortmomma417

Kyle, Tx
Having a consistent temp and humidity level for your tort is important. You don't want them with a bunch of spikes and drops.

Get a reptile thermostat for your Che

View attachment 206505

And get a basic plug in timer from a hardware store for your lights

View attachment 206506then you just have to worry about a lid to control the humidity levels.
So if I were to do that, I wouldn't have to purchase a humidifier? (Mine broke and was going to buy one tomorrow)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If you put a good lid on it to hold humidity in you won't need a humidifier. Closed chamber is the way to go.

Take a look in our enclosure section. You can spend hours and hours looking at different examples of set ups.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@tortdad is correct about the harmful bulb.
However, I'd like to ad that those clamp mounts are horrible and prone to failure. Causing the light to fall and possibly making a fire.
Of you continue to use the clamp for your CHE, use a second type of securing it. A big zip tie...a screw and a clamp...anything that would keep the fixture from falling if and when the clamp ever fails.

tortmomma417

Kyle, Tx
@tortdad is correct about the harmful bulb.
However, I'd like to ad that those clamp mounts are horrible and prone to failure. Causing the light to fall and possibly making a fire.
Of you continue to use the clamp for your CHE, use a second type of securing it. A big zip tie...a screw and a clamp...anything that would keep the fixture from falling if and when the clamp ever fails.
I can't remember but I think you were the one who talked me into the lamp stands a few days ago.. getting them today!