RF Swallowed Chicken Bone....

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
I have been giving my RF chicken bones for several years now. Specifically as a cuttlebone. It's worked out pretty well. He usually just chews on the soft sides of the joints eats the cartilage and walks away from it. About six months ago I caught him with about 2-3 inch piece of chicken bone halfway down his throat. it was sticking out of his mouth enough that I was able to take it out really easily. Last night I thought I'd try to feed him another one and just watch him, and make sure to take it away before he started devouring it. To my dismay he swallowed the whole thing it was about 3 inches long! He seems perfectly fine. Even afterward he was really active. I'm mostly worried about impaction? Can he even digest it? He eats mice with fur and bones so I'm not terribly worried. Thoughts?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I simply don't know if that'll dissolve or pass whole or become an issue.
One of my Redfoot tortoises ate most of a huge wooden rat trap and passed all of it in pieces.
Are we talking about a full grown Redfoot?
If it were on of my animals, I'd separate it from the others and monitor his activity and what comes out of him for at least a week. And make sure his temps stay above 80 and below 90.
Their digestion is on the slow side. Especially when it's cool. And extra heat causes stress.
My guess. And that's all it is. Is that he'll be fine.
Redfoot eat some alarming stuff.

Last edited:

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
One of my Redfoot tortoises ate most of a huge wooden rat trap and passed all of it in pieces.
If it were on of my animals, I'd separate it from the others and monitor his activity and what comes out of him for at least a week. And make sure his temps stay above 80 and below 90.
Their digestion is on the slow side. Especially when it's cool. And extra heat causes stress.
A rat trap!?!?! Holy ****! That just blew my mind! He's around ten years old. Copy on the temp. He sleeps with a hot water bottle every night so he should be toasty! I guess I'll just keep an eye out on his poop! Thanks for the feedback!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A rat trap!?!?! Holy ****! That just blew my mind! He's around ten years old. Copy on the temp. He sleeps with a hot water bottle every night so he should be toasty! I guess I'll just keep an eye out on his poop! Thanks for the feedback!
The rat trap had a rat in it!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I guess I would not give my redfoot chicken bones because of the fear of his choking on it. He eats eggshells (with the boiled egg) and occasional small snails, slugs and he has his cuttlebone and repti-calcium powder. Besides, I would be depriving my rats of their favorite food:D in the whole world: chicken bones.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I guess I would not give my redfoot chicken bones because of the fear of his choking on it. He eats eggshells (with the boiled egg) and occasional small snails, slugs and he has his cuttlebone and repti-calcium powder. Besides, I would be depriving my rats of their favorite food:D in the whole world: chicken bones.
Chicken bones are probably a bad idea.
Are they similar to things that a RF would encounter in the wild?
Yes.
But in the wild, most RF die for one reason or another before adulthood.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
GOOD LORD!!!! I can't even imagine... :eek: