Right environment

Stevieturtlelady

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
:tort::) I use mulch and a wooden half dome and keep my tortoises environment to 95° low water dish so we can climb out in the plastic tub is this OK? I don't know how to add a picture

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, 95 is a basking temp but not an over all temp. What kind of tortoise are we talking about and give a lot more details of the housing and care

Freckles24

TN
If you use the Tapatalk app you can add picture directly to your post

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
.....and next to "Post Reply" is the tab "Upload a File". If you select upload file, u should be able to find your pix and upload.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
There was some other thread about his encloseure that provided more information that seems to have been deleted, so I will reply to that one. 90-95 degrees is too hot to have everywhere. He needs somewhere to cool off if he gets too hot. That enclosure is much to small to provide proper thermal gradients. It be at least 4'x2' with a 95 degree basking spot and around 80 degrees everywhere else.

He also needs humidity to be at least 80 percent, and to be soaked daily to prevent dehydration. The easiest way to maintain humidity is to build a closed chamber. That water dish looks to be too slippery and could be a tipping hazard.

Read these threads and come back with any questions you may have:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/page-17#post-1509268

Freckles24

TN
I tried posting this to the other one (it had pictures)

I feel like this is a really really small enclosure... what lamps do you use? I think there's supposed to be two different temps like one for basking and a colder one for over all. I would not put anything other than water in the dish because they should be able to fit in it when/ if they want to. I agree it looks slippery. There's bowls at pet shops for relatively cheap that are sort of textured

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
Thank you! I just asked my father he said the whole cage is actually 80° and the basking temp ( where the light is )pointed is 95 and has a log to go into there if he needs to cool off .

Attachments

• IMG_6452.JPG
    IMG_6452.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
The rock is so he can tip back over and have something to grab onto if he needs to.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Make sure you have it nice and moist, it could be a lot larger, and I'm hoping you have a way to cover your container.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Do NOT buy one of those 'Tortoise specific' water bowls with a ramp that @Freckles24 suggested, as tortoises can tip over easily when trying to climb in and out. Instead, use a simple Terra Cotta plant saucer, sunk into the substrate.

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
Ok thank you. He's inside and I keep my door closed. And I do have a cover. Why would I need it though?

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
I use a very small bowl and I sink it in the substrate so he can easily climb out the walls very shallow like a terra-cotta.

Freckles24

TN
Do NOT buy one of those 'Tortoise specific' water bowls with a ramp that @Freckles24 suggested, as tortoises can tip over easily when trying to climb in and out. Instead, use a simple Terra Cotta plant saucer, sunk into the substrate.

I should've specified I meant the big corner ones (they don't have ramps) I've actually never seen a water bowl with ramps (we just have a small local petstore here), I just knew they were a rough texture and would be easier to hold onto.
Like this
ef3af67d3806a1a159f360b438a1eed0.jpg

But saucers are usually just a few dollars. I'm weird about aesthetics so I like the 'rock' bowls. And again bury it so it's even with the dirt and easier to get out of.

Last edited:

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
@Stevieturtlelady You just posted a thread about your tortoise almost drowning because it tipped over in its water dish, and now you are saying that there is nothing wrong with it?

Plant saucers are very inexpensive, and can be found at any garden center, why would you not get one?

Freckles24

TN
Ok thank you. He's inside and I keep my door closed. And I do have a cover. Why would I need it though?

The cover will help with humidity if it were left open it would only have as much humidity as the over all room has. If you have any other animals (dogs/cats) it will also keep them out.

Stevieturtlelady

Texas
Yes there is nothing wrong with him except he's acting lazy . Is that normal is he OK I mean babies are supposed to act lazy ... I did not get one because I just went to Walmart yesterday and bought him a new water dish very shallow and easily can be crawled out of . I'll get a terra-cotta dish when I upgrade him to his big enclosure next week .

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
uu

You cant provide and maintan the proper humidity levels required in an open enclosure. A closed enclosure, with proper heat, lighting, humidity, moisture, is what will ensure a healthy sully.