RIP WAWA

Titan24

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
It is with great sadness that my first post on here is about the passing of my beloved Russian tortoise Wawa.
I came home today after traveling and found her there in her tortoise table.

I post this in hopes for some expert answers in to what her cause of death may have been. I know that while she stayed in the care of my parents, since I moved away from home, that she experience some calcium deficiency due to a lack of light on her shell. I believe due to my parents busy schedule and my traveling we were negligent with her light.

In attempts to try to get her strength back up, I made sure that her light was on daily + calcium added to her meals, but today I am afraid to share with you guys that I was too late.

Her shell was soft and there she was. Wawa was my dear friend since I was 8 years old, in my care for about 17 years. She truly deserved more love and care in the end as I wish I was able to take her with me while I traveled so much for work and school.

If I got Wawa from petco about 18 years ago, how old would anyone suggest she may have been? Considering Wawa may have been an adult already or a juvenile when I got her?

I’m looking for answers, and some love. This truly hurts. RIP Wawa.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry for your loss.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
So very very sorry. Thank you for talking about what happened - it might help to raise awareness of how important the light is, for someone who hasn't realised it already.
I hope when you are settled in a permanent place, that you will consider taking on another tortoise - perhaps a rescue - who you can give the time and care you would have given to Wawa if she had survived.That would help you and your future friend.
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am very sorry for your loss. Do you have any photos of Wawa you could share with us?

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
So very sorry for your loss.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You were a child back then when you got Wawa. The information back then would have been terrible. Your parents didn't get good information and that same info is still being put out there. Even the so call tortoise vet I went to see with my first tortoise wasn't up to date. So don't be too hard on yourself, just do better next time if you do decide another tortoise is in your future.

Titan24

NJ
So very sorry for your loss.

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You were a child back then when you got Wawa. The information back then would have been terrible. Your parents didn't get good information and that same info is still being put out there. Even the so call tortoise vet I went to see with my first tortoise wasn't up to date. So don't be too hard on yourself, just do better next time if you do decide another tortoise is in your future.
Thank you very much for your words. I must hold myself accountable, I truly love Wawa as she was family. She is survived by my other tortoise Titan. I must do right by Titan and make sure that he is treated with the greatest of care.

Titan24

NJ
So very very sorry. Thank you for talking about what happened - it might help to raise awareness of how important the light is, for someone who hasn't realised it already.
I hope when you are settled in a permanent place, that you will consider taking on another tortoise - perhaps a rescue - who you can give the time and care you would have given to Wawa if she had survived.That would help you and your future friend.
Angie
Thank you for reaching out to me, this forum has helped me a great deal throughout this tough tough day. We took care of Wawa but should’ve been more attentive to her these past couple of months. All I can hope for is that she knows that she was truly loved.

She is survived by my other tortoise Titan, in loving memory of Wawa, I must make sure that Titan receives great care and time going forward

Titan24

NJ
It is with great sadness that my first post on here is about the passing of my beloved Russian tortoise Wawa.

I post this in hopes for some expert answers in to what her cause of death may have been. I know that while she stayed in the care of my parents, since I moved away from home, that she experience some calcium deficiency due to a lack of light on her shell. I believe due to my parents busy schedule and my traveling we were negligent with her light.

In attempts to try to get her strength back up, I made sure that her light was on daily + calcium added to her meals, but today I am afraid to share with you guys that I was too late.

Her shell was soft and there she was. Wawa was my dear friend since I was 8 years old, in my care for about 17 years. She truly deserved more love and care in the end as I wish I was able to take her with me while I traveled so much for work and school.

If I got Wawa from petco about 18 years ago, how old would anyone suggest she may have been? Considering Wawa may have been an adult already or a juvenile when I got her?

1FE1DF28-5600-407E-812F-234377FFC316.jpeg
Wawa in 2014

Sunny.OC.CA

Garden Grove, CA

I am so sorry for your lose.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
*hugs*

Was she ever allowed out in natural sunlight?

Thessle

Maine
So sorry for your loss. She truly was a beautiful tortoise! Turn the sorrow you have for Wawa into love and give the extra to Titan. You and Titan will both benefit that way.