Rip?

E46Joshh

5 Year Member
Pretty bummed, I was about to feed my 2 year old sulcata when I lift the lid he got scared and hasn't come out of shell or moved in an hour, he was walking before I opened lid and I tried warm bath.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Do you mean you think he's dead??
You tied the warm bath after you scared him? He might just be VERY skittish. Torts can breath when they pull their heads in.
Try lightly poking his head, if you can see it. Around his eyes, maybe. If he's still alive he should make a movement at that.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I like to make a little noise before I approach my torts so they are less startled. Not enough noise to wake them if they're sleeping; just enough so they're aware of my presence. Just a light tap on the door frame or a few soft words spoken.

Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt very much if you've 'scared him to death,' if that's what you're worried about. When you pick him up and gently touch a leg does he respond?

M

Maggie Cummings

All the tortoises that I've killed are mostly limp out of their shell. If you can't pull on his leg without resistance I'd quit worrying and leave him be quiet for a while...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
All the tortoises that I've killed are mostly limp out of their shell. If you can't pull on his leg without resistance I'd quit worrying and leave him be quiet for a while...
Oh, jeez, the wording sounds so terrible :p!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She really does take it to heart when a turtle or tortoise dies in her care...always feels like she could have prevented it.