Rocco Says my mom is a first time Tort owner!

Cheri

Hi from New Hampshire,

My Rocco is about a years old and is a Redfoot Tortoise. This is my first Tort. In just a few days I've figured out what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it. I'm no where near finished setting up his new home however he seems happy.

I look forward to learning new things that help keep Rocca happy and healthy.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello Cheri and Rocco and welcome to the forum.
Feel free to ask any questions, however trivial they may appear. Many of our members are very experienced and only too willing to help

Cheri

10456037_10206474355686120_8582496322202680745_n.jpg Thank you! I have a ton of questions :) I'm really trying my best to get my tank situated. I know fish tanks are the best for Torts but that's what I have right now. He actually seems to enjoy what I've done so far.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I would recommend getting a new thermometer. I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613A1-Indoor-Humidity-Monitor/dp/B0013BKDO8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427769209&sr=8-3&keywords=acu-rite hygrometer

because it measures both the humidity percentage (which is really important for red's) and the temperature. The ones like you have in there can be pretty inaccurate. What kind of substrate is that? You will want something that holds humidity in. Do you spray the enclosure at all?

Also, I would get more substrate, and if that's the water dish on the top left, I would get something a lot lower to the ground so he doesnt accidentally flip trying to get into it. I would recommend a terracotta saucer.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Also, last thing, sorry, but uvb lights need to be a certain distance away from the tortoise in order for it to work and help prevent metabolic bone disease. The lights look quite far away from her.

Cheri

The UVB light drops down into the tank during the day. I just put him in and took a pic, after that I added the UVB light. Attached is another picture. I've been using T-Rex Terra Mix Forest Bed & Coconut Bark Reptile Substrate

Attachments

• IMG_7473.jpg
    IMG_7473.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 17

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I use an Acu-Rite hygrometer in the link here:

http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00613A1-Indoor-Humidity-Monitor/dp/B0013BKDO8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427769209&sr=8-3&keywords=acu-rite hygrometer

They're $10, you could get them at home depot or lowes if you don't want to order online. I also use coco coir for substrate with sphagnum moss in her hide. Keeps the moisture in, no bugs, they can ingest the coco coir and pass it without incident, and it doesn't mold. The substrate you have should work, I just think you should get more. My tortoise does like to at least try to burrow, but she kind of just ends up making little dirt angels :)

Cheri

Thanks for helping me! My little guy tries to borrow as well and ends up doing pretty much the same. He knocks over his plants and messes up his substrate. I'm going to get more substrate this weekend. I need to work on my humidity level and lighting. I need light stands and a higher watt bulb for night time. I will get there :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
For my indoors Redfoot torts I use a layer of Orchid bark covered by a layer of potting soil.
This way, you can pour some water in to the edges/corners of the tank and the bark will hold the humidity and leave the soil on top dry.
You want high humidity. You don't want wet to always be in contact with your tortoise. Perfect temps in my opinion are between 78-85 degrees. And between 70 and 90+ on the humidity. (That's almost impossible to do with an open top.)
I'd also put in a little house of sorts for sleeping. Redfoot enjoy climbing inside and feeling safe at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Your habitat is awfully open. If you add some plants, either real or fake, it will give him a more secure feel.

Also, you can use a terra cotta plant saucer for the water, and have enough substrate so you can bury the saucer down and it will be even with the substrate.

What purpose do those white pots serve?

Cheri

I added a cover to one side of the enclosure today. It has two length wide sections that are open. Almost like a fish tank hood. The little white pots have soil and seeds in them. I'm trying to grow my own lettuce :) My hubby and I worked more on it today. We built him a little home and he was in it today. He actually was very active and curious today. I know it sounds weird but he seemed happy. Again this is a work in progress and I definitely am not getting the humidity I need. Do you think you guys could show me your enclosures?

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 12

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I added a cover to one side of the enclosure today. It has two length wide sections that are open. Almost like a fish tank hood. The little white pots have soil and seeds in them. I'm trying to grow my own lettuce :) My hubby and I worked more on it today. We built him a little home and he was in it today. He actually was very active and curious today. I know it sounds weird but he seemed happy. Again this is a work in progress and I definitely am not getting the humidity I need. Do you think you guys could show me your enclosures?

Be careful with that raw wood. I did the same thing almost a year ago and it molded pretty horribly with the humidity.

Here's my enclosure, it's 4x4 and lined with pond liner for the humidity. I have a sprinkler system and, after the mold before, I made sure the top on the inside is all plexiglass, no exposed wood whatsoever. New Enclosure 2.JPG

and the inside003 (8).JPG

Attachments

• 004 (10).JPG
    004 (10).JPG
    249 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: