Rock eating

Unkapunka

Location (City and/or State)
Osage City
My sully Titus was just fine going eating clover and weeds now he wants to eat small rocks too. I put calcium on his food once a week and he has a cuttle too snack on but he hasn't yet. Is there something he needs to not eat rocks or does he just enjoy this. I move him around but he gets mad and just trys to go back to the rocks. Any ideas? Besides the rock eating he is healthy and happy

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Try Miner-al from sticky tongue farms. Works great for rock eaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Last edited by a moderator:

Unkapunka

Osage City
I have been feeding him outside weeds and clover and grass since spring is here. Before that i had to rely on store bought greens. Here is a pic of him0506191654.jpg

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Try Miner-al from sticky tongue farms. Works great for rock eaters.
I can only seem to find the one for insect eating reptiles, could you post a picture of the correct one. I’ve adopted a tort that has previously enjoyed eating bark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can only seem to find the one for insect eating reptiles, could you post a picture of the correct one. I’ve adopted a tort that has previously enjoyed eating bark.
The product was "invented" for chameleons, hence the name "Sticky Tongue Farms". It is fine for tortoises and other reptiles too. There are two versions. One with D3 added for indoor housed animals, and one with no D3 for outdoor animals that are getting sunshine regularly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have been feeding him outside weeds and clover and grass since spring is here. Before that i had to rely on store bought greens. Here is a pic of him
The rock eating is most commonly seen in indoor tortoises that are fed grocery store greens. The weeds should get you through the summer, but read this one, and try to make some improvements for next fall/winter: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

If you must use grocery store greens to get through a Kansas winter, favor endive and escarole as your main food sources, with other stuff added in for variety. Look for a local "ethnic" store that sells spineless opuntia pads, or order them online. Add in some blended up grass hay, herbal hay, or soaked ZooMed pellets to add fiber and variety. Offer Mazuri a couple of times a week to make sure the tortoise is getting more balanced nutrition. All of these things are doable for anyone anywhere in the country, and they will help you avoid this problem going forward.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
The product was "invented" for chameleons, hence the name "Sticky Tongue Farms". It is fine for tortoises and other reptiles too. There are two versions. One with D3 added for indoor housed animals, and one with no D3 for outdoor animals that are getting sunshine regularly.
Thank you Tom, this tortoise goes out everyday so I’ll get the one without the D3

Unkapunka

Osage City
Thanks Tom, i only let him out about half an hr at a time. I am planing to get better food items this winter.