Ron from Oregon

RonC

Hi,
I just brought home a new addition to the family "Cujo". He is a 3 toed box turtle with a huge personality. I have had many reptiles growing up but as I gotten older I have tried to really dial in a good diet and optimal living conditions. I am curious if anyone has any advice on giving a box turtle roaches "dubia roach"? I hear of people feeding roaches to many other reptiles not so much to box turtles.
Please let me know your thoughts.

Ron & Cujo

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Howdy Ron. Welcome to the forum! Where bouts in Oregon are ya? I'm east of Salem, in the foothills east of Silverton.
Sorry I can't help with diet for a boxie. Short of knowing their omnivorous, I'd be doing as you are, asking here. Have you found and read the species specific section dealing with boxies yet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sure. I hate to admit it, but I have a pretty bad infestation of those large brown roaches - not in the house, but its real bad outside. Strangely, there aren't any in the box turtle yard!

Welcome to the Forum!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I feed them to mine, and they love them, but I only feed with the Dubia a few times a week though because of the high protein. I started my hatchlings with them too.

pinch the head so they still move but can't get away.

RonC

Sure. I hate to admit it, but I have a pretty bad infestation of those large brown roaches - not in the house, but its real bad outside. Strangely, there aren't any in the box turtle yard!

Welcome to the Forum!
Hi,
Yea roaches are nasty but I have heard the dubia cannot survive our weather here. Not sure if that's true or not. Figure they have more protein than crickets and might be easier to digest. Just a though.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Biggest plus is they don't smell like crickets!!

RonC

I feed them to mine, and they love them, but I only feed with the Dubia a few times a week though because of the high protein. I started my hatchlings with them too.

pinch the head so they still move but can't get away.
Thank you for the feed back! Pinching the head is a good idea lol it could be a battle of hide and seek!
Do you feed your turtle daily or have an every other day schedule?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I put something out every day, but I have several turtles in my enclosure. Most of the time everyone of them will have a bite of something though.
The only thing I do on schedule is Dubia or worms every 3rd day. Then the rest of the time it's some type of fruit or vegetables.

I'm sure they also find bugs and worms outside in the enclosure because I've seen them eating them on days I didn't put any out.

RonC

Do you breed your own Dubia? So far I give Cujo vegetables and a little fruit every day and toss about 6 crickets in every other day. I just order some Dubia online I hoped to replace the crickets with them. I am trying to give him a different variety of veggies,fruit, and meat all the time so he doesn't get stuck on one type alone.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I order my Dubia on Amazon, it's a lot cheaper than my local pet store. I also agree on a variety, mine eat just about anything I put out so I really don't have a set schedule it's always something different. Except for the worm or Dubia days.

RonC

I order my Dubia on Amazon, it's a lot cheaper than my local pet store. I also agree on a variety, mine eat just about anything I put out so I really don't have a set schedule it's always something different. Except for the worm or Dubia days.
You've been a huge help! Thanks a bunch and look forward to talking to you in the future.

RonC

Howdy Ron. Welcome to the forum! Where bouts in Oregon are ya? I'm east of Salem, in the foothills east of Silverton.
Sorry I can't help with diet for a boxie. Short of knowing their omnivorous, I'd be doing as you are, asking here. Have you found and read the species specific section dealing with boxies yet?
No, I haven't visited that section yet but right after I send this I will check it out. Been doing lots of research on the net but it's so confusing everyone says something different lol.