Rosie is getting BIG

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
I can't believe how big she's getting she weighs about 3 lbs now and will be 2 years old in 2 months from now just wanted to update and was wondering how old before she should move outside? Of course now it's going into winter so I will probably wait till at least next spring after she's about two years old and four months when it starts warming up at night any thoughts on this and what is the best Borough for them when they start off little like like that in the yard? By the way for size comparison her clay water dish is about 10 inches....??❤2CAA8EE2854D_1635957364692.png

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I can't believe how big she's getting she weighs about 3 lbs now and will be 2 years old in 2 months from now just wanted to update and was wondering how old before she should move outside? Of course now it's going into winter so I will probably wait till at least next spring after she's about two years old and four months when it starts warming up at night any thoughts on this and what is the best Borough for them when they start off little like like that in the yard? By the way for size comparison her clay water dish is about 10 inches....??❤View attachment 335957
Size is one concern.
Outdoors weather is another.
But potential predators is often overlooked. And everyone's situation is different.
Predators can be birds, mammals like raccoons, etc. And other humans.
What type of outdoors enclosure are you thinking about? Are you in the suburbs?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Size is one concern.
Outdoors weather is another.
But potential predators is often overlooked. And everyone's situation is different.
Predators can be birds, mammals like raccoons, etc. And other humans.
What type of outdoors enclosure are you thinking about? Are you in the suburbs?
I'm in the city for now I have a decent-sized backyard the cats like to jump over once in awhile I have a fenced-in Garden that's 30 ft by 30 ft that my dog can't get to that would be one area would think about keeping her but then there's the cats in the neighborhood and occasionally a hawk flies over cuz there's a farm right down the street maybe I could just make her a huge box frame that's like 15 x 15 and put chicken wire over the top of it and perhaps a footer so she can't dig her way out

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm in the city for now I have a decent-sized backyard the cats like to jump over once in awhile I have a fenced-in Garden that's 30 ft by 30 ft that my dog can't get to that would be one area would think about keeping her but then there's the cats in the neighborhood and occasionally a hawk flies over cuz there's a farm right down the street maybe I could just make her a huge box frame that's like 15 x 15 and put chicken wire over the top of it and perhaps a footer so she can't dig her way out
I have feral cats too.
Lots of them.
The only threat the pose is they like to leave poop behind in the sandy areas of my main enclosure. And they also leave the occasional dead bird, rodent or large lizard and my RF eat all of the above.
In my experience, you don't need to be very concerned about the cats physically harming a tortoise

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I have feral cats too.
Lots of them.
The only threat the pose is they like to leave poop behind in the sandy areas of my main enclosure. And they also leave the occasional dead bird, rodent or large lizard and my RF eat all of the above.
In my experience, you don't need to be very concerned about the cats physically harming a tortoise
well she's going to be 2 years old in January and she's at about 3 lb right now sounds a little bit light to me compared to what I've been reading about tortoises age and weight here on the Forum her enclosure is like 5 ft by 4 ft and 3 ft deep basically 150 gal water trough for horses my concern is it really moving her outside so much as it is the temperature change cuz now it's in the mid-70s for a high during the day and at night dips down into the 50s from her cozy 80 + degree enclosure that has like 90% humidity or more. Should I building outside enclosure and bring her inside in the evening? Just don't want her to get sick

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I have feral cats too.
Lots of them.
Well that's good to know I'm just wondering how big I should make her pen outside I would just cover it and chicken wire and maybe dig a footer so she can't dig her way out.... currently she's been losing weight the last couple weeks so I will wear this morning when I get up which will be 3 weeks I think I may make a vet appointment if she still losing weight today she went from 1332 down to like 1223 G in two weeks time maybe I'm just being paranoid she just lose weight once a month for a week but then always gains it back.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
You don't need to worry about a leopard tortoise digging out of an enclosure, If there is a gap at the bottom - they can try to push under, but they do not dig to get out.

At 3 lbs, I would not worry about predators. Dogs and scorpions are always a concern.

An enclosure about 12ft x 20ft would be a nice size. Add lots of plants for cover and natural hides and humidity. You will need a heated night box kept at 82° or so. I like to transition them to outdoors. Have the new enclosure with night box ready and then start putting your tortoise out midday for a few weeks. Then most all day and start ensuring its in the night box at night and lock shut.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
You don't need to worry about a leopard tortoise digging out of an enclosure, If there is a gap at the bottom - they can try to push under, but they do not dig to get out.

At 3 lbs, I would not worry about predators. Dogs and scorpions are always a concern.

An enclosure about 12ft x 20ft would be a nice size. Add lots of plants for cover and natural hides and humidity. You will need a heated night box kept at 82° or so. I like to transition them to outdoors. Have the new enclosure with night box ready and then start putting your tortoise out midday for a few weeks. Then most all day and start ensuring its in the night box at night and lock shut.
is locking the night box so that they don't get out and get sick in the middle of the night? And what's the best setup for the night box? I have ceramic heat emitters and a thermostat as well to help maintain her heat if that would work well enough and I'm not sure I could build one that pick definitely can build one 5 by 12 and she is about 9 inches long by 6 or 7 in wide and she gained weight yesterday she's up to 1311 G

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
is locking the night box so that they don't get out and get sick in the middle of the night? And what's the best setup for the night box? I have ceramic heat emitters and a thermostat as well to help maintain her heat if that would work well enough and I'm not sure I could build one that pick definitely can build one 5 by 12 and she is about 9 inches long by 6 or 7 in wide and she gained weight yesterday she's up to 1311 G
BIG* (not oick)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
5 x 12 is pretty small for an outdoor enclosure for an adult female leopard tortoise. At 1300g it will work for now, but remember, she will grow to 6000g - 10000g

I lock the box at night to keep the tortoise inside, but also keep other things from coming in seeking the warmth of the night box. No visitors allowed! Rats, cats, scorpions, etc. It also keeps the heat in better when closed and reduces energy costs.

Here's a great post on how to build a perfect night box for your tortoise:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I can't believe how big she's getting she weighs about 3 lbs now and will be 2 years old in 2 months from now just wanted to update and was wondering how old before she should move outside? Of course now it's going into winter so I will probably wait till at least next spring after she's about two years old and four months when it starts warming up at night any thoughts on this and what is the best Borough for them when they start off little like like that in the yard? By the way for size comparison her clay water dish is about 10 inches....??❤View attachment 335957
Lovely looking tortoise. Shell looks great.