Routine Veterinarian checks

Bobbyott

Do I need to bring my sulcata to the vet? Does he/she need routine bet care , like shots , blood work or any thing like that. If so how often ? My guy/gal is almost 5mo. Old.

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Thailand
I would just bring he/she to the vet once a year to get dewormed and of course bring he/she to the vet if it is sick or in need of help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I do not bring my tortoises to the vet for "check ups" unless it is an animal getting a follow up from treatment.
So, my answer is no. I do not.
I have an excellent tortoise vet.

GuyC

I´m a vet and I´d say: not without a reason. It's difficult to do a better assessment of a tortoise's healthy in the clinic (with lower temp, different surroundings and a stressed animal) than what you as an owner who knows your animal can see every day. A side from this there also the whole 'vets don't know anything about tortoises'-spiel, which I partially agree with.

So unless you're looking for bloodwork or other specific diagnostics, I see no reason. There are no shots required, and you can also consider to deworm based on faecal egg numbers, which only requries you to bring some poop to the vet instead of the whole animal.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Do I need to bring my sulcata to the vet? Does he/she need routine bet care , like shots , blood work or any thing like that. If so how often ? My guy/gal is almost 5mo. Old.

How about posting pics of your tort and his/her enclosure.

Most tort owners take their torts to vets only when necessary.

Bobbyott

Thank you, I always say he to lol but he seems happy. No name has come to me yet , I kinda feel bad lol. I like naming my pets people names but it's kinda hard when you don't know if it's male or female. I was thinking Cash because I'm the biggest Johnny Cash fan, also was thinking Larry. But still not sure

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No. My oldest is from 2011. Never been to a vet yet. If there is a problem that you can't fix on your own, or with the help of the forum, then a vet visit is needed. Be careful to get a vet that actually knows about tortoises. Very few do.

Rue

Canada
Thank you, I always say he to lol but he seems happy. No name has come to me yet , I kinda feel bad lol. I like naming my pets people names but it's kinda hard when you don't know if it's male or female. I was thinking Cash because I'm the biggest Johnny Cash fan, also was thinking Larry. But still not sure

Well, the tortoise doesn't care, and there are lots of unisex names too. I think Cash works for both male and female, for what it's worth.

And even if you pick a very feminine or very masculine name, in 4, 5 or 6 years when you do know the sex, it won't matter too much. There are a lot of male tortoises called Sue, or Lily, and a lot of females tortoises called Chuck and Bob out there...:D

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Well, the tortoise doesn't care, and there are lots of unisex names too. I think Cash works for both male and female, for what it's worth.

And even if you pick a very feminine or very masculine name, in 4, 5 or 6 years when you do know the sex, it won't matter too much. There are a lot of male tortoises called Sue, or Lily, and a lot of females tortoises called Chuck and Bob out there...:D

A+ A male tortoise named sue would work well for his purpose ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't take my tortoises to the vet unless there's something wrong, however, I sometimes advise new tortoise-keepers to take the tortoise in for a well-baby check. This gets the tortoise's stats onto a record and if you ever take that tortoise back for a problem, they have a record of what the tortoise was like when it was well.

It's not necessary, and strictly up to each individual keeper.