RT just died.

Farkle

Hello, my Russian Tortoise just died today. I've only had him for about a month, and he had a wierd red thing on his neck when I woke up today. I took him to the vet right away, they gave him some antibiotics and tried to get a stool sample, but unfortunately couldn't save him. I have never owned a tortoise before, so I didn't know the warning signs like when he didn't pull his head back in when I picked him up. I am planning on getting another tortoise within a few months, and I wanted some input from other tortoise people. Things like where to get them, if gender matters, name, etc. If you'd like to give input, thank you. If not, that's fine.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
I'm sorry for your loss.

Do you have any pictures of the growth on his neck? Were there any other symptoms, such as lack of apatite? Do you have any pictures of his enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry for your loss. Was it an adult or a hatchling? A picture of the red spot might help us to possibly figure out if we have seen it before.
Where are you located? Any black widows, scorpions or any other big that might have done this?
You want to try and figure out the best you can before bringing in another tort. If it's something like a bug bite or a poisonous plant, etc, you will want to fix it before it gets another.

Farkle

I'm sorry for your loss.

Do you have any pictures of the growth on his neck? Were there any other symptoms, such as lack of apatite? Do you have any pictures of his enclosure?
He did have lack of appetite, and I do have a picture of his neck from when I first saw it. It did swell up while at the vets, but I don't have any pictures of that.

Farkle

So sorry for your loss. Was it an adult or a hatchling? A picture of the red spot might help us to possibly figure out if we have seen it before.
Where are you located? Any black widows, scorpions or any other big that might have done this?
You want to try and figure out the best you can before bringing in another tort. If it's something like a bug bite or a poisonous plant, etc, you will want to fix it before it gets another.
Adult, not sure of exact age. There aren't any black widows or scorpions in my area. I live in Utah, but he was an indoor dude, so it's not something he ate. The vet said that we took really good care of him, and he must've been sick when we got him.

IMG_20170524_075624.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, it was big. Looks like part of his front leg, inside is red too. Too bad, very sorry.

Farkle

None the less, would anyone like to say a few words before we burry him?

K4Awesome

I am sorry for your loss, as when you get a tortoise you expect them to be with you for quiet a long time

if it is possible to contact who/where you got your tortoise from please do, and inform them as to what happened so that way they can check their other tortoises (if they have any) for an issue and hopefully get them treated, as to where to buy your next tortoise from (but I don't recommend doing that until you figure out the issue) buy from a breeder that you trust and do a little bit of research before you do so to see others input to that particular seller.

you can also try to find local tortoise owner (such as posting an ad o a website, putting out flyers, or searching for a local facebook page) to ask where they purchased their tortoise and if they have any good recommendations!
good luck with the wonderful journey of tortoise keeping and again sorry for your loss

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sorry this happened . As for where to get good heathy tortoises start here . Tom breeds them and many others . Don't buy adults from pet stores most are stolen from the wild and are sick when you buy them . Always buy from a breeder .

Farkle

I am sorry for your loss, as when you get a tortoise you expect them to be with you for quiet a long time

if it is possible to contact who/where you got your tortoise from please do, and inform them as to what happened so that way they can check their other tortoises (if they have any) for an issue and hopefully get them treated, as to where to buy your next tortoise from (but I don't recommend doing that until you figure out the issue) buy from a breeder that you trust and do a little bit of research before you do so to see others input to that particular seller.

you can also try to find local tortoise owner (such as posting an ad o a website, putting out flyers, or searching for a local facebook page) to ask where they purchased their tortoise and if they have any good recommendations!
good luck with the wonderful journey of tortoise keeping and again sorry for your loss
Thanks for the advice, I got my tortoise from my local PetSmart, they seemed to know alot at the time, but since the vet thinks he must've been sick when we got him, and the were way off on his age, I'll check all my options next time.

K4Awesome

Thanks for the advice, I got my tortoise from my local PetSmart, they seemed to know alot at the time, but since the vet thinks he must've been sick when we got him, and the were way off on his age, I'll check all my options next time.
yes, I would recommend staying away from places like petsmart and doing a lot of research on the place you are purchasing your tortoise from

Farkle

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes I do. He's in a 20 gallon tank, but this was only temporary. We're moving soon, and when we did we were going to build him a tortoise table. He has his UVA and UVB lights, we switch the bulb in the evening to his night light, and in the morning to his basking light. His food is replaced every morning, but we didn't keep it there when we got home. Because they like to wander, every day when I got home from school, I took him out and he wandered our house, eventually falling asleep in a corner. We spot cleaned every day, and completely replaced the woodchip every month. His water was also switched every morning.

Attachments

• 1495684520225311661286.jpg
    1495684520225311661286.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wondering the house is always bad. They should always stay in their appropriate indoor and/or outdoor enclosure. A million things could have happened to him while wondering the house.

Farkle

Wondering the house is always bad. They should always stay in their appropriate indoor and/or outdoor enclosure. A million things could have happened to him while wondering the house.
Oh. I wasn't aware of this. I read that because they were naturally wanderers, that they should. Thanks for letting me know. Especially since his cage is so small.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh. I wasn't aware of this. I read that because they were naturally wanderers, that they should. Thanks for letting me know. Especially since his cage is so small.
They should be able to wonder, however either in a big indoor enclosure that is properly set up for them or in a large outdoor enclosure, that again is set up for them

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keeping them in an enclosure that is too small will not only cause the tortoise stress, but will also impede his ability to build muscle and strength and eventually will not be able to walk properly. I had to rescue and rehab a leopard that couldn't walk due to being in too small an enclosure.