RUGER'S ENCLOSURE! I HEARD ASTROTURF WORKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

krb1093

5 Year Member
This is his enclosure. Anymore suggestions? That's a brush in one of the corners. He LOVES rubbing his shell on it.

Attachments

• ENCLOSURE 003.JPG
    ENCLOSURE 003.JPG
    280.4 KB · Views: 113
  • ENCLOSURE 005.JPG
    ENCLOSURE 005.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 82
  • ENCLOSURE 006.JPG
    ENCLOSURE 006.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 78

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Your craftsmanship is excellent, but I agree it's a bit small for an adult redfoot, but you may be okay. Looks like the tortoise can move around a bit and if you house it outside at all, this would suffice for short-term housing. I've seen tighter spaces for an adult, this is borderline in my opinion. I'm also not a huge fan of the green reptile carpets. Your redfoot needs high humidity and this is generally accomplished with at least 3-4 inches of substrate (organic/yard soil, cypress mulch, coconut coir, or hardwood mulch are all excellent choices. Some like long-fibered sphagnum moss, but I don't like the acidity).

I'd invite you to have a look at TerryO's enclosures/vivariums on the tortoise library (from the sidebar: housing - Planting an interesting habitat)
http://tortoiselibrary.com/

I have a similar sized table that I constructed for 4 hatchlings. I topped it with plexiglass, added heat ropes, and 4 inches of cypress to boost humidity.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ure-via-Heat-ropes-Lots-of-pics#axzz22cf4hRbl

There are lots of options here, just keep in mind that your tort needs a bit more room and a much more humid habitat. Live plants are always an excellent addition to enclosures for purifying air and stimulating a tort.

Good luck!

krb1093

5 Year Member
This is his indoor. He comes in at night to sleep in this. It is a 5x6 so I don't think he'll mind sleeping in this after reading and seeing people putting the poor things in plastic bins. His outdoor enclosure is 20x16. I'll post a pic

Thanks for ur concern mikecow, This is the enclosure the previous owners gave me. I just picked him up lastnight. Will this work partime for him? He's outside from about 7am till 10 pm. He's outdoor enclosure is about 20x16.
Redstrike theydid give me some substrate, but the owners said he wasn't a fan. I put some in there last night and he moved it all to one side. I'll see if I can take a pic and see if you think it's ok for him. It looks like a mulch/hay mixture.

Attachments

• lily 003.JPG
    lily 003.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 75
  • mulch 003.JPG
    mulch 003.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Well, that's different. For night the size is OK. But, You really could use something other than astroturf. Cypress mulch or something that can hold moisture and maybe some kind of top to hold humidity in. Redfoots are tropical tortoises and need humidity. Astroturf just won't cut it that way. Looks great though. Just get him some humidity. Plus, now that I think of it. With a light on that astroturf doesn't it get really hot?

krb1093

5 Year Member
MikeCow1 said:
Well, that's different. For night the size is OK. But, You really could use something other than astroturf. Cypress mulch or something that can hold moisture and maybe some kind of top to hold humidity in. Redfoots are tropical tortoises and need humidity. Astroturf just won't cut it that way. Looks great though. Just get him some humidity
cool, thanks

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
krb1093 said:
This is his indoor. He comes in at night to sleep in this. It is a 5x6 so I don't think he'll mind sleeping in this after reading and seeing people putting the poor things in plastic bins. His outdoor enclosure is 20x16. I'll post a pic

Thanks for ur concern mikecow, This is the enclosure the previous owners gave me. I just picked him up lastnight. Will this work partime for him? He's outside from about 7am till 10 pm. He's outdoor enclosure is about 20x16.
Redstrike theydid give me some substrate, but the owners said he wasn't a fan. I put some in there last night and he moved it all to one side. I'll see if I can take a pic and see if you think it's ok for him. It looks like a mulch/hay mixture.

That is more than adequate for an indoor sleeping location!!! I agree with Mikecow still on the astro. The mulch you have looks okay, but I don't want to say yes or no since we don't know what it is. If it's pine, cedar, or hemlock, I vote no. If it's hardwood and/or cypress, sure! A cheap and easy option is to dig up some dirt in the back yard and pour it in his sleeping enclosure. I'd also cover at least half of the indoor space to help with humidity... Something as cheap and easy as a shower curtain would work. Just tent or staple it over all or some of the top? I have two doors on my enclosure that are hinged and topped with plexiglass.

I posted this a while ago, it may help?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...via-Heat-ropes-Lots-of-pics#axzz22d3D0n6i[hr]
Ruger must be one happy tort in that big outdoor enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.