Runt

kbarj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
west central Missouri
This little thing is not gwing. Got her in Sept. '14 as a hatchling. last summer tried to put her outside daily to eat grass, dandelions, clover, henbit. (I put her in a dog x-pen and the kid that cuts my grass didn't know she was there and picked up the pen and mowed. I looked all over even thinking <aghast!> that the blades could have thrown her a good ways!) The next day I had to be away and asked my g-daughter to search. She walked to the tree where I always put the pen and THERE SHE WAS! Just walking around eating. Anyway, I digress. . .
As winter approached she came in to the house. She has 80-92*, but sorrowfully low humidity. 20-40% on a good day. She eats grocery spring mix, some occasional kale and I grind some Mazuri to offer. She has a cuttlebone that she does use, and a uvb light on a timer that she shares with her sulcata sister. ( Not housed together, Land Rover is > 4 lbs, and little Fritz is 53g.) I also put her in a warm soak, though not as often as I should. Only about once a week.
Suggestions other than more humidity and soaks?
What is "normal" growth?
Thank you.

20160304_120237-1.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This 53 gram little one is a Sept 14' baby?

You have a lucky little tortoise that has been surviving the usually deadly hurdles of chronic dehydration.

If this guy came into my care I'd do daily soaks and keep it primarily indoors for a while. I'd use a damp, earthy type of substrate for moderate humidity and up the dietary fiber by feeding more broadleaf weeds.

So, that would be my recommendation to you.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Oh and normal growth has a variety of answers but I will say this. Most leopards hatch around 30-35 grams and can hit 53grams in 2 months or so. At almost a year and a half they shouldn't still be the size of a 2 month hatchling.

So, let's get you set up better so that little cutie can start to thrive :tort: :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree with the above 100%. I would do daily soaks, 20 to 30 minutes each in water kept warm. I would also spray the food with water, and get it set up in a closed chamber to get the humidity up.
This little one is clearly a survivor.

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
This 53 gram little one is a Sept 14' baby?

You have a lucky little tortoise that has been surviving the usually deadly hurdles of chronic dehydration.

If this guy came into my care I'd do daily soaks and keep it primarily indoors for a while. I'd use a damp, earthy type of substrate for moderate humidity and up the dietary fiber by feeding more broadleaf weeds.

So, that would be my recommendation to you.

Thank so much! I have a big bag of sphagnum peat aand that is what she is on now. If I keep it moist its like mud?
I also have some green stuff that you soak in water and expands. If I squeeze the water out then put some in the hide it just seems so cold.
I tried an aquarium with a top on it but the humidity was usually 24%. So I put her in a plastic tub and I am going to cover it in plastic wrap. Also, I was using a heat emitter but I think it is going out so put a red heat bulb on her. It keeps the temp satisfactory but gets it so dry! Is the red bulb ok for her eyes? I know a white light is too bright.
Aaargh! This is frustrating, and I feel like I am losing the battle. And where do I get broadleaf weeds in winter?

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
I agree with the above 100%. I would do daily soaks, 20 to 30 minutes each in water kept warm. I would also spray the food with water, and get it set up in a closed chamber to get the humidity up.
This little one is clearly a survivor.

Thank you too! My plan is to cover it in plastic wrap. Where can I get a tiny bikini for all her swim days? :)

Kasia

Poland
Thank you too! My plan is to cover it in plastic wrap. Where can I get a tiny bikini for all her swim days? :)

Hi
Besides providing a tiny bikini ;) You can take her stool sample to Your Vets and ask them to do a fecal test just in case. Parasites can inhibit growth of Your little shell :)
Good luck with all the changes I hope Your Baby will blossom.

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
What a difference a couple of days make. I got a sheet of plexi plastic and covered tub with it. I saw humidity of 49%! She is so active and eating very well. I crush a pellet of mazuri and sprinkle it on top of her greens and put a few drops of water to soften it. Kind of like getting the kids to eat their vegetables. I am anxious to see if she grows. OH yes, and she gets a good long warm soak till her fingers wrinkle. :) ( about 20 mins.)

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
Now its a year and a half later. She is finally growing! Doubled in weight and inch in length and much more of a dome to her shell. She does not like Mazuri however. That has not been a problem yet but winter is fast approaching so weeds will be harder to find. Back to spring mix. Anyway, just thought I would share. She lives!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love this story. Thank you for coming back and updating us.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Good to hear! I would love to see pictures of your little guy. It sounds like you made proper changes and saved its life. Good job!