Russian Hard Food Options

lbpotter3

Location (City and/or State)
Franklin, NC
Hey everyone, I'm a 1st time Tort owner. I have a Russian named Czar who is a few months old. He eats his blends of greens and plants well but is uninterested in his hard food or his calcium block. I have the Mazuri blend and I'm worried about his beak growing too much if he is only eating soft foods. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am sprinkling a powder calcium on his greens so he is still getting it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey everyone, I'm a 1st time Tort owner. I have a Russian named Czar who is a few months old. He eats his blends of greens and plants well but is uninterested in his hard food or his calcium block. I have the Mazuri blend and I'm worried about his beak growing too much if he is only eating soft foods. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am sprinkling a powder calcium on his greens so he is still getting it.
Hello and welcome. Most of the care advice given in pet stores and found on-line is all wrong. They don't need hard foods, and if you are feeding something hard, like pumpkin for example, it should be finely grated so they don't choke on it. We have a valued member here that lost a tortoise a few months back when it choked on a chunk of some squash that had been cut up for it. More about that here:

Also, I've never seen any tortoise chew on those pet store calcium blocks. I tried a half dozen different ones over several years in many housing situations with many tortoise species. They never touched them, other than walking past or over them to get where they were going. Cuttlebone is sometimes ignored for months, but most of them will usually partake over time.

Give this a read for the correct care info. There is a care sheet for your temperate species near the bottom.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Hello and welcome. Most of the care advice given in pet stores and found on-line is all wrong. They don't need hard foods, and if you are feeding something hard, like pumpkin for example, it should be finely grated so they don't choke on it. We have a valued member here that lost a tortoise a few months back when it choked on a chunk of some squash that had been cut up for it. More about that here:
Oh no Will, when did this happen? I was out of the country for a while, maybe I missed it.