Russian Olive Tree Bearing Fruit

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
Noticed that my Russian Olive Tree is bearing fruit (it had not in seasons past) Are the olives dangerous for Sulcatas to eat? They have pits.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Noticed that my Russian Olive Tree is bearing fruit (it had not in seasons past) Are the olives dangerous for Sulcatas to eat? They have pits.

That is awesome....I have been eyeing them myself...I have a large enough property that I was going to begin picking up a few...and I had this very same question....hmmmm, guess time to research a bit more here....lol....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Olive tree seeds are not considered poisonous if ingested. However, consuming any plant material may result in stomach upset, diarrhea and vomiting. There is a risk of choking from ingesting plant parts including seeds, leaves and fruit. There may be allergic reactions to ingesting plant materials. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include wheezing, swelling of the mouth, lips, face or tongue, hives and difficulty breathing.

This is likely for mammals, so if it were me, I would try to keep it to a minimal to avoid possible impaction issue...however, from what I have read and understand --unless the olive is prepared for consumption ---it has an undesirable flavor??? Bitter....so I would wonder if the tort would have any continued interest????

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
This is likely for mammals, so if it were me, I would try to keep it to a minimal to avoid possible impaction issue...however, from what I have read and understand --unless the olive is prepared for consumption ---it has an undesirable flavor??? Bitter....so I would wonder if the tort would have any continued interest????
It tastes VERY better before it's prepared... I lived in Jordan for a few years, so I know this. I am going to try to provide my Greek tortoise with olive tree leaves, since they are found in its natural habitat :)