Russian shell growing weird

Kaycee

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Is this normal? Is this my fault and is there anything i can do about it?

Attachments

• Snapchat-954453490.jpg
    Snapchat-954453490.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 59

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not normal, but nothing to do about it either. I don't know why that little triangular spot decided to grow there, but it did, and now the rest of the shell has to grow to compensate for it. Just love him because he's special.

Kaycee

Washington
do you think if it continued to grow like that that itd hurt her? Im just scared her shell is gonna keep growing like that and split open .

JanelP

Idaho
Can you take a picture of the entire tortoise birds eye and then this entire side? It looks like the shell has been growing abnormally for some time. Also one pic of the back end even so I can see top and underneath shell please.

Kaycee

Washington
Is she okay?? This is my first tortoise so I'm not an expert on everything but i try to do my best Snapchat-1805572418.jpg Snapchat-1525903997.jpg Snapchat-2094255808.jpg

Kaycee

Washington
Is she in pain?? Is there anything i can do to fix this and prevent anything in the future??

JanelP

Idaho
No, I don't think she is in pain. Once the keratin hardens it should not me painful. something is hindering the way that side of the shell is growing though. How old is she? and are you following the care others have listed here?
good news is what she is laying down looks healthy, its the why. was there ever an injury? see if a piece of bark or anything got caught up under the back leg of the shell. You can take a quetip and probe a little bit to check for wounds or abscesses.
Once you rule anything like that out. as long as its eating normal, acting normal, it could just be a malformity and like above, love it the way it is. keep watch on the hole on the back, keep it clean. eventually you may have to fill it with epoxy until the shell grows straight, but a Vet would be more of a place to go for that advice.
Whatever happened seems to have originated between the 6th and 7th side scute back. examine this area really well.
Can you show one more pic of the normal side pic, just want to compare for a theory.

Kaycee

Washington
We bought her less than a year ago and they gave us no information on how old she was, but ive heard that inches determines how old they are so i assume 5 years?? I don't think it woukd be the bark as the redbark is fairly new to her enclosure, the deformity hasnt opened or anything so i think its just a little spot that doesn't wanna grow.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1905013645.jpg
    Snapchat-1905013645.jpg
    812.5 KB · Views: 12

JanelP

Idaho
Ah yes then, No this is nothing you have done. Probably happened before you got her. injury or something. She is laying down the keratin to try to repair it. Just keep an eye out to make sure nothing gets caught in there. I bet it will eventually correct it's self. I'm glad shes got a good mom to look out for her now.

Kaycee

Washington
There is also another thing ive been worried about, is it normal to have skinflakes?? Ive been giving her more frequent soaks but nomatter what i try it seems like she always has flaky dry skin. Is there anything i can do to help her with this?

JanelP

Idaho
This one you'll have to wait for someone who knows more about Russians. I do know that if you hope on over to the FAQ and general boards, or even search, you might find some answers. If you're doing proper care (habbitat) and proper diet thats the biggest thing.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
There is also another thing ive been worried about, is it normal to have skinflakes?? Ive been giving her more frequent soaks but nomatter what i try it seems like she always has flaky dry skin. Is there anything i can do to help her with this?

Probably just shedding, perfectly normal.
Also, it is impossible to tell age without a hatch date :)