Russian tortoise and corn snakes

MerlynAndOrwell

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I have what might be a stupid concern but I've came to this great forum before for help and was hoping everyone could help again. I have a Russian tortoise named Orwell who is currently in his indoor enclosure until the weather gets warmer.
My idiot roommate lost his corn snake yesterday and we have no idea where it's at.
The top of my tortoises enclosure is open, and I'm worried the snake might get in there with Orwell.
Should I be worried about him being eaten? I'm more concerned about him becoming frightened. It's too late for me to do anything now but tomorrow after I finish working I'm going to build a lid out of chicken wire to prevent the snake from getting in with Orwell.
Am I right to be concerned or worrying too much? Both reptiles are fully grown adults.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
How big is the snake and how small is the russian?

The corn snake might try to eat him if it can swallow him.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Dang, that's scary. I would definitely build that lid. And make it strong. I don't know much about snakes either but I personally would be concerned. My cousins 6 foot boa constrictor escaped in the house once, we all walked around on the furniture and carried various weapons with us for three days. Somehow that huge thing got from one corner of the basement all the way to the second level of the house on the other end. Gives me the creeps to this day.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a milk snake that escaped into my garage. He didn't know he had escaped and was just being a snake.
I placed a t-shirt on the floor with a heat lamp pointing on it and later that day I found him laying on top.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This is why I don't have snakes. Hope he is found, and all ends well.

Randi

Canada
If it's a full grown corn snake, it's anywhere from 4 feet to 6 feet. Some females can be as much as 7 feet. It's unlikely that the snake will eat it - they generally go for prey items that are the thickness of their body, and I think the tortoise is too large. Their bodies aren't wide enough to facilitate safely eating it. With that being said, I'd still build a top for your tortoise enclosure.

The snake will probably seek refuge in a warm and dark place. They like to burrow so you'd likely find them under things.

Last edited: