Will snakes attack my tortoise?

Yuukari

5 Year Member
We have snakes in the neighborhood, rattlesnakes, king sankes, gopher snakes, should I be concerned about them getting my Russian tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I know absolutely VERY LITTLE about snakes, but I THINK they see heat. So, unless your little tortoise glows from radiant heat I doubt a snake would be interested. I may be wrong. Wait for a snake person to answer you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Snakes in the wild, have been found with tortoise shells in their gut. An article in reptiles magazine about 15 years or so ago told of a snake in africa with 3 leopard tortoise shells in it. It is extremely rare for a snake to do so, they don't really register with heat I believe, I would not worry about snakes eating your tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some snakes eat very specific prey. Other snakes are generalists that will eat anything that they can swallow. If you have an adult russian, the only snake (of the ones you mentioned...) big enough to eat it would an extremely unusually large gopher snake, but this is very unlikely.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm not sure of the posters location. My only concern would be for a tortoise to be bitten while crashing into a burrow that holds a rattlesnake.
But I am familiar with stories about Florida Gopher tortoises living in harmony with rattlesnakes.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
But I am familiar with stories about Florida Gopher tortoises living in harmony with rattlesnakes.

~ I can definitively say that we have several species of snakes in our area, mostly black and rat snakes and have never seen any attempts to eat a baby tortoise. I have seen them actually basking within close proximity and even the snakes slither over them without any issues!

Yuukari

5 Year Member
She's the largest Russian I have seen, 10" long. At least 30 years old according to the vet. She has her own enclosure. I'm in Riverside, ca. Just want to make sure she is safe. Thank you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Probably, fine.
It would take a pretty big snake to try eating a Russian of that size, dislocating jaw or no.
Unless an anaconda or something escapes in your area, I reckon tortie is safe.

Tan

Here's a video of a tort taking the food away from an adult rattle snake. Torts do get along with snakes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Why ?
The snake got his dinner.
The poor boxie got rolled away with a big stick.

westernstar

Phoenix, AZ
For the past few nights, I've spotted a Garter Snake sleeping inside of my tort's den. I think the snake like the heating pad and Panzer doesn't seem to mind. I just have to remind myself to look before sticking my hands randomly into his den, lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For the past few nights, I've spotted a Garter Snake sleeping inside of my tort's den. I think the snake like the heating pad and Panzer doesn't seem to mind. I just have to remind myself to look before sticking my hands randomly into his den, lol
You are running a heat pad for a tortoise in Phoenix AZ right now? Why?

OliveW

Branford, FL
We have snakes in the neighborhood, rattlesnakes, king sankes, gopher snakes, should I be concerned about them getting my Russian tortoise?

Gopher tortoises around here share their burrows with everyone, including snakes. We have some very large rattlers here as well.

"The gopher tortoise is especially important because the burrows, which are dug by the tortoises, also provide homes for other animals, such as indigo snakes, gopher frogs, mice, foxes, skunks, opossums, rabbits, quail, armadillos, burrowing owls, snakes, lizards, frogs, toads and other invertebrates, gopher tortoise ..."