Russian tortoise hibernation

macyfidlerr

Location (City and/or State)
Longview, TX
I really want to allow my tortoise to hibernate this year because last year I didn't and he would try to sleep all the time and get irritated when I woke him. Can someone share some links below to hibernating? I don't know much about it and don't want to lose my baby if it is done improperly. This is just so I can gain some background information or maybe a step by step so I can see if I am capable of allowing him to. His previous owner hibernated him one winter for one month but said he seemed very sick after she woke him. I really don't want this to happen again to him and want to know all about it while making the decision. Thanks!!

macyfidlerr

Longview, TX
I tried to google some information but really didn't get detailed info on what exactly to do. Thanks in advance!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
where are you located? If you're in the US it harder in some states to hibernate than others because the weather temperatures that fluctuate greatly.

Wanda

10 Year Member!
South east UK
Have a look on some of the U.K. Forums or Facebook groups. There is a lot of information on hibernation there. Many people use what is called the Fridge method, but I hibernate mine outside in an insulated shed in deep top soil. I throw it in and they dig the,selves down. The wind down process (reducing hours of light, withholding food to ensure the gut is empty, ensuring hydration is good) is the same whichever method you use.

macyfidlerr

Longview, TX
Have a look on some of the U.K. Forums or Facebook groups. There is a lot of information on hibernation there. Many people use what is called the Fridge method, but I hibernate mine outside in an insulated shed in deep top soil. I throw it in and they dig the,selves down. The wind down process (reducing hours of light, withholding food to ensure the gut is empty, ensuring hydration is good) is the same whichever method you use.
Thanks so much :)