RUSSIAN TORTOISE IMMUNE SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I have a 4 year old male Russian tortoise that I have raised from a hatching. He has been very protected and spoiled. He is small for his age as it took a long time for him to really start growing. He has grown a lot in the last 6 months, but is still small for his age. He has a summer enclosure outside and only stays outside in the summer. He only spends the night out in the summer if the weather is appropriate temperature wise. He has never been hiberbinated and spends the winter inside, going out in the sunshine when the weather permits.

Around 3-4 months ago I adopted a female Russian tortoise from a co-worker at home. I don't know how old she is (she is still growing). She has been inside in a Xmas tree tote since I got her. She is such a sweet, pretty tortoise. I would like to put her in with my 4 year old male in the outside summer pen when the weather permits, but I am wondering if my 4 year old male Russian has an under-developed immune system as he has never been exposed to another turtle. I love him dearly and would be heartbroken if he were to get sick. My new Russian female tortoise appears to be extremely healthy. She has grown since I adopted her and has a hearty appetite and energy level.

I also have another enclosure which has my adult Russian colony in it. I could put her in that colony, however, I am reluctant to do so as I was having a problem with a female that I adopted from a neighbor last summer. In the beginning she was bullying the other tortoises. She now appears to get along with the other tortoises, however, I do not know how she would react to the addition of another tortoise. I am therefore reluctant to put my newest adopted female tortoise in that colony which would be very stressful for her as she would be in new surroundings and I hate the thought that perhaps she might be bullied as she might be considered an intruder by my dominant female.

If someone could give me their option on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Carol:)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your new girl needs to complete quarantine (being kept separately) before being intriduced to others. It should only be done when you can be absolutely certain she can't introduce illness to any other tortoise.

I really wouldn't worry about your lone male being small if he's otherwise healthy. Slow growth can be good news, especially in terms of shell condition.

My concern is that Russians are naturally solitary creatures in the wild. They don't get lonely like humans do. They do often react very badly to a new kid on the block.

Your small loner runs the risk of being bullied by the bigger tortoise if you put them together. With your group, introducing another tort could upset the status quo and a previously calm group may end up fighting.

Think carefully before you introduce and be prepared to accept that separate living may be preferable.

Russians don't need or seek company.

Status
Not open for further replies.