Can you re-train a Russian Tortoise?

MWengz

Location (City and/or State)
St. Paul
We have an almost 10 year old Russian Tortoise. He/she was bred in captivity and we have had him since he was the size of a half dollar. About 4 years ago he/she started pounding against his cage, so we slowly started allowing him to free range throughout the house. (S)he opens most of the summer on the porch and then comes in for the cooler months. (S)he has access to her cage to go in and out freely and seemed to be happy. Last summer, the kids left him/her out and she was rogue in the city for 8 days until I found him/her a block away. Every since then (s)he would occasionally bite toes if they were barefoot. It was pretty occasional. Well the last few months it has become continually worse. Now (s)he spends her time aggressively chasing humans or our cats and will bite, hard. The cats used to allow the tortoise to cozy up to the fireplace with them, but now they are all afraid of him/her and just take off. That makes him/her more aggressive in chasing. I am not sure what we can do at this point to try to bring our tortoise happiness. (S)he would is miserable in the cage, and just repeatedly throws it's body against the walls. We have a large home and only one kid left at home? Should we try to give him/her just one room to be in charge of? Also, for the record, I am referring to our tortoise as he/she because we have been told by the vet that her size and flat bottom shell indicate she is a female, but from everything I read it is def exhibiting male behaviors.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I had Russians growing up.
Ones they discovered the outside world there was no stopping them.
Every spring when they”woke up”, they would walk to the door and knock till we took them out to their outdoor world.
I think ones they taste the outdoors they don’t want to be inside.
Also how big is your enclosure?
You can post pictures of the enclosure and the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We have an almost 10 year old Russian Tortoise. He/she was bred in captivity and we have had him since he was the size of a half dollar. About 4 years ago he/she started pounding against his cage, so we slowly started allowing him to free range throughout the house. (S)he opens most of the summer on the porch and then comes in for the cooler months. (S)he has access to her cage to go in and out freely and seemed to be happy. Last summer, the kids left him/her out and she was rogue in the city for 8 days until I found him/her a block away. Every since then (s)he would occasionally bite toes if they were barefoot. It was pretty occasional. Well the last few months it has become continually worse. Now (s)he spends her time aggressively chasing humans or our cats and will bite, hard. The cats used to allow the tortoise to cozy up to the fireplace with them, but now they are all afraid of him/her and just take off. That makes him/her more aggressive in chasing. I am not sure what we can do at this point to try to bring our tortoise happiness. (S)he would is miserable in the cage, and just repeatedly throws it's body against the walls. We have a large home and only one kid left at home? Should we try to give him/her just one room to be in charge of? Also, for the record, I am referring to our tortoise as he/she because we have been told by the vet that her size and flat bottom shell indicate she is a female, but from everything I read it is def exhibiting male behaviors.
The tortoise needs to be contained in large enclosures. One indoors and one out. Indoor should be at least 4x8 feet, and outdoors should be much bigger. Use the outdoor one during fair weather.

Loose in the house is a recipe for disaster in many ways.

Your tortoise is exhibiting normal territorial behavior. This is one of many reasons to not let them roam loose. Losing them is another. Female Russians will sometimes do these tings too.

Here is more care info and how to set something up outside to make the fall last longer and spring come earlier.

Post a pic of the plastron showing the tail, and we can probably sex the tortoise for you. Male Russians don't get plastron concavity. And this demonstrates again that most vets don't know much about tortoises.