Russian Tortoise Lighting Only UVA, is that ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaydaBear

5 Year Member
So i just setup a Russian Tortoise habbitat with everything and made sure the temperatures are perfect and oddly enough i was surprised and they were perfect. Then i came across the box of lightbulbs i got and said they were only UVA, is that bad or gonna be bad for my tortoise? Oh and i will be able to take him outside for excersice and natural sunlight every day until Winter but in Winter will just the UVA be bad for him? Thanks! :tort:

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
I would get a zoo med power sun mercury vapor 100 watt bulb for uva/uvb if I was u. They are not cheap but the torts need them special rays.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
For indoor housing you will want to get a UVB as well, or as suggested the combo UVA/UVB....if you are getting him natural sunlight everyday during the warm months he will likely get a long well/along with maintaining appropriate warmth... Have fun and have you posted pics yet ? :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
UVA offers benefits, but not enough to justify the cost of a UVA only bulb.

As long as it is outside a good chunk of the summer, you won't need to worry about it at all then.

As for the winter- some keepers feel and find that their torts do OK without it (having, in theory, fully loaded their fat cells with excess vitamin D they can live off over the winter.) Others use UVB lighting and/or supplements to help ensure good bone health. In truth, it probably depends on the species and how long your indoor period is.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
cemmons12 said:
I would get a zoo med power sun mercury vapor 100 watt bulb for uva/uvb if I was u. They are not cheap but the torts need them special rays.

Petsmart has them on sale for $ 55 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.