Russian Tortoise, male, 4 yrs old, biting

Pote

Location (City and/or State)
Leeds
I acquired my male Horsefield Tortoise 2 months ago. I recently bought a female, aged 16 months. They are next to each other but in individual enclosures. Today my boy was stomping around getting in and out of his pool. I hand fed him, Aloe Vera, which he loves, but later on he charged at me and bit my finger, then my stomach. He's never behaved this way prior to today. He is a placid, friendly and despite having a rubbish start to life, he's doing well. Is this because of the female presence? He's seen her and sniffed her, but didn't attempt to hurt her.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So i have to ask, how does a Russian tortoise bite your stomach? 🤷‍♂️

Probably “charging” is either defending territory or is hungry and snapping/biting & looking for more.

Make sure you keep them separated all of the time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Russian tortoises are usually on the scrappy side to begin with. And he can definitely smell her nearby. He sees her as an intruder/threat to his territory and his food and he may also want to mate with her.
Either way, his behavior may or may not settle down with another tortoise nearby.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I acquired my male Horsefield Tortoise 2 months ago. I recently bought a female, aged 16 months. They are next to each other but in individual enclosures. Today my boy was stomping around getting in and out of his pool. I hand fed him, Aloe Vera, which he loves, but later on he charged at me and bit my finger, then my stomach. He's never behaved this way prior to today. He is a placid, friendly and despite having a rubbish start to life, he's doing well. Is this because of the female presence? He's seen her and sniffed her, but didn't attempt to hurt her.
That is normal Russian behavior. They are territorial and aggressive.

The tortoise should never be loose on the floor and it shouldn't ever be in a position to reach your stomach. If you keep your fingers away from the tortoise's mouth, it won't be able to bite your hands either.

Also, you can't sex a Russian at 16 months. All of them look female as juveniles.